357 sig?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Alright everyone..... grab a bat.

I lol'd heartily.

from the ballistics tests that i have seen it seems like this is an extremely powerful round (like it was intended to be) but it seems like there isnt very many people carrying it. ive been looking at a few different guns in this caliber but the fact that i can always find this ammo but no other caliber at wal-mart is kind of worrying me. what are your guys thoughts on this round?

The concept looks really interesting to me. As I understand it, it's become very popular with various police units due to better penetration through barriers. I've already met quite a few OHP troopers who are carrying it.

Honest question though; how much more powerful is it than say, a hot load of .38 super, and how does it's recoil compare?

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well but how many semi autos use the 38 super caliber? :-)

i have no problem with revolvers...i have one. id love to be able to carry one when im working however i think my boss would think hes in a flashback to the good ole days or something lol

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well but how many semi autos use the 38 super caliber? :-)

i have no problem with revolvers...i have one. id love to be able to carry one when im working however i think my boss would think hes in a flashback to the good ole days or something lol

Uhhh.....I believe .38 super was designed for the 1911 platform. It's really commonly used in them in Central/South America where "military calibers" are prohibited for civilian ownership and very common in the US in IPSC matches due to it's flat trajectory and relatively less felt recoil compared to .45 acp.

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uhhh.....I believe .38 super was designed for the 1911 platform. It's really commonly used in them in Central/South America where "military calibers" are prohibited for civilian ownership and very common in the US in IPSC matches due to it's flat trajectory and relatively less felt recoil compared to .45 acp.

wow i guess i should look around more....i admit i am a little knew to some of this. (like you couldn't guess) be that as it may...i never really thought about the 10mm. what gun manufacturer has semis available in that caliber anymore? the only one that i knew of to begin with was glock...

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are serious about carrying Extreme Shok ammo..... dump it and get a proven SD round like Gold Dots, Golden Sabre, Ranger, or HST.

are you kidding me? as much as they cost and as hard as they were to find in quantities more than 5 i would think they would be an excellent choice. all the videos seemed interesting anyway lol.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow i guess i should look around more....i admit i am a little knew to some of this. (like you couldn't guess) be that as it may...i never really thought about the 10mm. what gun manufacturer has semis available in that caliber anymore? the only one that i knew of to begin with was glock...

As for 10mm, Colt just restarted production of the Delta Elite 1911 (DO WANT!!!!), I think (not 100% positive) the EAA Witness is still produced, Star produced the Megastar in 10mm Auto which has a wonderful reputation, and of course, there's the Glock. That's all I can think of off the top of my head for 10mm pistols, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if there were more out there. As for 10mm carbines, there are HK94's/MP5's and clones in 10mm auto, as well as AR-15 carbine uppers.

*EDIT*

I also forgot about the defunct Bren Ten (which is what 10mm auto was designed for in the first place) and the still produced S&W 610 for 10mm pistols.

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
again going back to the work thing...which is what im searching for (a gun to carry on duty).... i dont think they will let me carry a mp5. its a nice thought though...think don hume or uncle mike makes a shoulder holster for it?

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IT SEEMS like its such a more powerful caliber than even a 45acp. and im sure that if faced with the situation and properly prepared for it a 45acp will do a good job of taking someone down.
BUT im the kind of person that doesnt want any question whether or not they are going down and not me.
<snip>
well i need to find the link again but it was a ballistics test between 9mm 357sig 40sw and 45acp. 357sig went furthest through the gelatin and had the most penetrating power. im sure some of it had to do with ammunition.

Regardless of what caliber you use there is no guarantee that any round will put a BG down....shot placement is the single most important factor.

There have been quite a few police agencies who've switched to the 357sig from the 45acp and they appear to be having great results with the 357sig round.
The place where the 357sig outshines the 45acp is dealing with intermediate barriers....the 357sig has more penetration potential against walls,car doors, etc.

The 357sig has the edge as far as kinetic energy is concerned. It is believed that this can be a factor in producing more rapid incapacitation under the right circumstances.

as far as ammunition goes for carrying concealed and when im working i carry extreme shock air freedom rounds. so combined with that ammunition im after "the one that will keep them down".
If you've look at serious ballistic testing of those rounds you'll see that more often than not they suffer from lack of penetration.
They are just not a good all purpose self defense round....if they were then you'd see a lot of police agencies use them.
I can't think of one single agency or department who uses those rounds.

If you are serious about carrying Extreme Shok ammo..... dump it and get a proven SD round like Gold Dots, Golden Sabre, Ranger, or HST.
+1

The concept looks really interesting to me. As I understand it, it's become very popular with various police units due to better penetration through barriers. I've already met quite a few OHP troopers who are carrying it.
You probably won't see any OHP troopers that don't carry it since it's the issued round. ;)

Well, given that 10mm exists, I never did see much use for 357 Sig.
Weapon platform size/capacity.
As you know, the 357sig can be used in 9mm sized platforms where as the 10mm is limited to large framed guns because of it's significantly longer profile.

If finding ammo is a concern, 357sig ammo is easily more available than 10mm.
Unless you handload or order online you are going to be hard pressed to find any 10mm.

are you kidding me? as much as they cost and as hard as they were to find in quantities more than 5 i would think they would be an excellent choice. all the videos seemed interesting anyway lol.
No, they are pretty much just junk.
There may be some limited circumstances where they have some usefulness...but I can't think of any.
Their videos are not in any way representative of true and scientific ballistics testing. Plus, you want to use a caliber/round that will regularly produce around 12" of penetration minimum, in properly calibrated 10% ordinance gelatin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom