357 sig?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weapon platform size/capacity.
As you know, the 357sig can be used in 9mm sized platforms where as the 10mm is limited to large framed guns because of it's significantly longer profile.

2.31mm difference between 10mm and 9mm, really doesn't add a whole lot. Magazine capacity is the exact same as 357 Sig/40S&W.

10mm ammo availability isn't a big deal in OKC, you can walk into Academy or H&H and get it without any problems.

ETA:
OP, You can get 9mm+P loads from Doubletap in the 500+ ft/lbs range, same for 40S&W (try the 135gr Nosler JHP)
I'd go for a good 9, you can practice with cheap ammo and proof on/carry the DoubleTap. Carbine options are more abundant in 9mm, as well.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see no real advantage. If you want to shoot a light bullet get the 135 gr .40 S&W. Of course the bullet weights are a little heavier in the .40 so no real direct compassion. I like heavy bullets not lighter....JMO

From the double tap wide site.

.357 sig 125 gr. 4" bbl - 1450 fps 584 ft/lb
147 gr. 4" bbl - 1255 fps 514 ft/lb

.40 S&W 135 gr. 4" bbl - 1375 fps 567 ft/lb
155 gr. 4" bbl - 1275 fps 560 ft/lb

The .357 sig is a necked down .40 S&W case no magic there. It limits the bullet weight to around 147 gr. while the .40 S&W has a wide range of weights (135,155,165,180,200 gr) and can be found anywhere much cheaper. A lot more choices in the .40 IMO. I have the .357 sig barrel for my G23 and I like the recoil but you use the 135 gr in the 40 and it's real similar in recoil characteristics.

The 10 mm is has way to much recoil for followup shots when you load em up IMO. They are a big gun for CCW to me.........

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2.31mm difference between 10mm and 9mm, really doesn't add a whole lot. Magazine capacity is the exact same as 357 Sig/40S&W.

10mm ammo availability isn't a big deal in OKC, you can walk into Academy or H&H and get it without any problems.

ETA:
OP, You can get 9mm+P loads from Doubletap in the 500+ ft/lbs range, same for 40S&W (try the 135gr Nosler JHP)
I'd go for a good 9, you can practice with cheap ammo and proof on/carry the DoubleTap. Carbine options are more abundant in 9mm, as well.

Problem is that the 10mm has few viable options for carry. The G29 is the only real option, unless you can find a used Smith.

To me, 10mm is cost prohibitive if you rely on local vendors for ammo just like .357sig. You have to pick it up in bulk online if you don't want to go broke.

Also to add, those that talk about the 135gr loadings..... have you shot them? They are nowhere as controllable as the 125 and especially the 147 gr sig loadings from DT. Yes I've done the pepsi challenge with them..... J.P. was there for part of it. :D

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Problem is that the 10mm has few viable options for carry. The G29 is the only real option, unless you can find a used Smith.

To me, 10mm is cost prohibitive if you rely on local vendors for ammo just like .357sig. You have to pick it up in bulk online if you don't want to go broke.

Also to add, those that talk about the 135gr loadings..... have you shot them? They are nowhere as controllable as the 125 and especially the 147 gr sig loadings from DT. Yes I've done the pepsi challenge with them..... J.P. was there for part of it. :D

I have and I disagree. Not a whole lot of difference. Lighter bullets recoil less with the same powder same dia bbl. The loads make the difference and you can't get more powder in a .357 sig round since it's a 40 necked down. Really physics don't lie. Same powder in both the .357 sig will have more presure generated just like the presure in a large water main compared to a smaller dia. pipe.

Some favor velocity over mass but I'm not one of em.

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
again going back to the work thing...which is what im searching for (a gun to carry on duty).... i dont think they will let me carry a mp5. its a nice thought though...think don hume or uncle mike makes a shoulder holster for it?

I carry one on and off duty. I have a Glock 32 and 33. If it is going to be a service gun, then let the agency buy the ammo. I shoot a bunch of rounds every year and don't buy any of them. If I had to buy my own ammo, I would probaly switch back to a Glock 23 (40 cal).

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's priced like 45ACP. :anyone: Last time I was at Academy, the 10mm Blazer Alu was ~$1 more per box than the 45ACP.

I'm just saying there's hot 40 S&W if you want something hotter than plain Remington 40 Short&Weak.

Latest posts

Top Bottom