38 special or 44 special for Home Defense/Conceal Carry dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coming your way.

hearing aids.jpg

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll trade a fraction of your hearing to stay alive any day every day. The chance of such happening is low enough to disregard taking it seriously enough to buy and then equip earpro before a gun fight

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a good tip the other day on home protection. If you have a nice pair of electronic hearing protectors, instead of leaving them in your range bag, put them close to your gun and use them if you have a chance if you have to defend yourself at night. It just gives you one more advantage. And while hearing loss sucks, hearing loss plus tinnitus sucks even more.

Oh wow, I totally disagree...no way am I am giving up my sense of hearing as some thug creeps through my home intent on no good. I wanna hear the shuffle of his feet; the bump against the picture on the wall; the nervousness in his last breath...

Ear protection is for the range; hearing is essential in a potential confrontation. Please re-think this.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience that firing a .357 in the dark will blind you and deafen you. Not something you want if you are in a gun fight. I only carry +P .38 special in my .357s. I am a BIG fan if .44 special and would rather carry that in my .44 magnums, BUT the pistols tend to be big and heavy.

Just to be clear my personal experience is shooting a lot at night when I was young.

I am glad you posted this, JB. It sounds like the Statute of Limitations has run on your "night shooting" as a youth. :wink2:

I have a Charter Arms Bulldog .357 revolver for home security. While I use 38 specials for practice at the range, I keep it loaded with .357 Magnum HP for self defense. I never considered the noise and flash issues if I ever have to fire it indoors... A conundrum...

LL

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Any time you have a projectile moving at more than 1000fps, you have a small sonic boom taking place. Depending on the size an area that this takes place will determine the effect it has on your hearing(Five plus years standing next to a 4.2"/107MM Mortar being fired, and no you couldn't wear hearing protection cause you couldn't hear the firing commands.). Not only does it affect your hearing, but your also having to deal with the over pressure from the sonic blast. Even with auditory exclusion your still doing damage to your hearing.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice would be to try and shoot one of them first. See if you like one over the other.

Now for humor.
A 9mm might expand but a 45/44 won't shrink.