.410 Turkey hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvlabs

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is not a ethics thread, or a debate of .410 versus 20 ga. My 8 year old daughter will be using her .410 for turkey hunting this year. I plan to keep the shots at 15 yards max. Does anyone have any load recommendations or experiance they would like to share on using a .410?

We will be getting some loads to start patterning this Saturday. This will be her first season and even though she won't admit it, she is fired up about it! Can't wait!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I patterned several .410's loads, both 2.5 and 3" at 15y, and they all left fist sized holes in the patterns with full and modified chokes. My intent was to for my daughter to use it and I think she was 7yo then. I know a couple of guys who have taken several with a .410, but after the patterning session, I went ahead and got a mini youth mossberg 20g pump, extended ported choke tube, and filled the stock up with lead shot, low brass #6's and had her shoot off of a shooting stick, this combination resulted in very little recoil. Hope it works better for you and her, have fun on your hunt and take pics!!:)
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_DSC03360.jpg

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandson has taken two toms with his 410 one at 15 yards and one at about 20 . He was useing 3" #6 both were shot in the head area and that was it . He has went to a 20 ga. now , his 410 is a youth H&R full choke .I also was backing him up with my 12 ga. but I never had to fire a shot .

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a Super 14" Contender barrel in .410 and I shoot Remington 3" #6 shot. I have shot more than a handful of turkeys with this pistol/load combo out to a max shooting distance of 15 yds....

Latest posts

Top Bottom