.458 socom vs .300 blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy Cow, you and CY are taking this WAY to personally. I never said that you guys couldn't afford anything.

[snip]

3) I answer for the doc "With guys that can afford a rig like that, ammo ain't an issue"

4) You and CY get all wound up and tell me that I'm wrong

[snip]

7) I can't keep explaining it to you that guys that "Take the plunge" and build out a rig like that "AIN'T WORRIED ABOUT THE AMMO"

Apparently I'm remiss in explaining myself clearly. My apologies. Let me try again...

When you say that guys who can afford such a rig, aren't concerned about ammo costs - to me, that implies that everyone who can afford the rig, will not be concerned about the cost of ammo. I wished to disagree on this point; what I wanted to say is that not everyone who can afford the rig is going to be unconcerned about ammo costs. Some will think this way, but I believe some others, who have such a rig, will be concerned about ammo costs. These latter individuals will either ration their shooting of this caliber, or else they will go to the trouble of reloading for it, to ameliorate the cost of the ammo. They want to have such a rig, and they do have it, but they're still concerned about ammo costs.

That's what I wanted to point out. Again, my apologies for not being more explicit with my argument.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with your side of the discussion. Don't play if you can't afford to play. My customers driving 80k SUV's don't complain about gas mileage, they can afford gas.

I don't know man, some people can afford the 80k Viper and the gas, but they drive the Prius plug in because they don't like to pay for the gas. There are millionaires that don't wear a Rolex Submariner or True Religion jeans not because of affordability, but because that's not what they value spending their money on. They may not got for a Timex and Rustlers, but perhaps a Seiko 5 and 501 shrink-to-fits are enthusiast enough for them.

Same deal with the SOCOM. For some it's a matter of affordability. For others, it's a matter of their perspective on the costs and there they wish to spend their disposable income. The ones buying the SOCOM may (or may not if this is their big hobby) have asked themselves the affordability question, and still bit anyway.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So as I'm following this thread, nobody( unless I missed it) has mentioned about how many rounds they would shoot out of their SOCOM. 20, 60, 5, 150 rounds on a full auto lower? I shoot a lot of firearms, but I don't shoot any of them a lot, hunt more than shoot I guess, so the cost of ammo with any cartridge is never an issue. Reloading for everything I shoot helps also of course. For those of you that own the .458, how many rounds per year? My friends shot mine more than I have lol! :)

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know man, some people can afford the 80k Viper and the gas, but they drive the Prius plug in because they don't like to pay for the gas. There are millionaires that don't wear a Rolex Submariner or True Religion jeans not because of affordability, but because that's not what they value spending their money on. They may not got for a Timex and Rustlers, but perhaps a Seiko 5 and 501 shrink-to-fits are enthusiast enough for them.

Same deal with the SOCOM. For some it's a matter of affordability. For others, it's a matter of their perspective on the costs and there they wish to spend their disposable income. The ones buying the SOCOM may (or may not if this is their big hobby) have asked themselves the affordability question, and still bit anyway.

I also agree with this.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy Cow, you and CY are taking this WAY to personally. I never said that you guys couldn't afford anything.

Very simple:

1) DJJ post a pics of a bada$$ rig - complete with suppressor and presumably high end optic. Possibly a $3000 setup in an exotic caliber.

2) CY quotes it and asks "How do you handle brass costs?"

3) I answer for the doc "With guys that can afford a rig like that, ammo ain't an issue"

4) You and CY get all wound up and tell me that I'm wrong

5) DJJ then confirms exactly what I wrote:

6) You still don't get it and tell me you could afford it but didn't do it due to ammo costs (WHICH IS MY POINT!)

7) I can't keep explaining it to you that guys that "Take the plunge" and build out a rig like that "AIN'T WORRIED ABOUT THE AMMO"

This is the most exhausting circle-jerk, please make it stop!

seems YOU are the one that's taking it too personal :D

what you don't seem to understand is NOT everyone falls into one set category.
again .. just because someone can afford buy/setup a .458 socom .. doesn't mean they would want to due to ammo costs.

that's not to say for some folks costs of .458 ammo is of no concern .... just that I'm not one of em and don't think I'm alone.
same for folks that don't blink at shooting $3 a round ammo .. there's plenty of those folks too and there's nothing wrong with either one.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aw' c'mon guys! https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?207143-Life-is-waaaaaay-too-short

So what about the discussion about the .300 Blackout?

apologies the all the side tracking ... was expecting more folks to weight in on all the virtues of the 300 blackout???

did some more digging on why 458 socom is sooooo expensive. seems there's only one mfg or source for .458 socom brass with NO base caliber one can usually form new cases from. not counting .425 Wesley Richards, which runs about $4 a piece. from what I can tell .458 socom is all by itself. a completely new round being adopted is nothing short of a miracle. closest would be .50 Beowolf which according to feedback from reloaders is harder to reload then it appears.

one bright spot I dug up is the ability to swage your own jacketed bullets using .45 acp or .40 cal brass. custom swage dies are running a pricey $425+ but it seems it's possible for one to make your own swage dies. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Swaging

www.hunt101.com_data_500_44_40_bullets.JPG

In the pic Left to right:
300 gr. JHP for the .44 mag with dual crimp grooves this was made out of a 10mm case
250 gr. JHP made out of a .40 S&W case with cannelure to load long in my .44 Mag
210 gr. JSP made out of a9mm case with a cannelure to load long in my 10mm revolver
190 gr. JHP made form a 9mm case with dual cannelures

a bit of history of how .458 socom came to be and how important Tromix's role in 458 socom's development

10 years of Tromix Prototypes/Projects and Misc Junk (Pics)
Started by TonyRumore , Jun 25 2008 04:50 PM
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php...tromix-prototypesprojects-and-misc-junk-pics/

First production run of .458 SOCOM brass, straight walled. I had to buy them all to get the .458 SOCOM off the ground.

i98.photobucket.com_albums_l246_TonyRumore_Rifles_Brass.jpg

Who developed the .458 SOCOM? Was it Tromix?
http://www.teppojutsu.com/458FAQ.htm

The .458 SOCOM was developed by Marty ter Weeme, founder of Teppo Jutsu LLC in 2000. The impetus was an informal ("beer and barbeque") discussion with a senior member of the US special operations community regarding the apparent lack of effectiveness of the 5.56 x 45 cartridge in recent conflict. In particular, the reports from members of Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia that multiple shots were required to neutralize members of the opposing force led to the request to develop a new cartridge that would deliver far more energy from short barrels at relatively short distances. After the design was completed, Tony Rumore of Tromix Corp in Broken Arrow, OK was contacted to build the first prototype. Based on the favorable reviews, commercial production was started and the initial rifles were produced by Tromix. Currently, several firms offer rifles or upper assemblies in this caliber, including AR-15s, AK-47s, single shot and bolt action rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom