5.56/.233 reloading costs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I reload Hornady Vmax's and my cost per round is .22 about .50 cents savings over buying factory. The main reason I reload is that I can tailor make each round to shoot best in each different rifle I own, I also use range brass.

If you don't mind me asking what powder have you had good luck with for this load? I have been trying to find literature for the Hornady .223 53gr V-Max but have come up with nothing.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Accurate 2230 for plinking, and Accurate 2015 for my match rounds, I also use milsurp powder when its available, lots of choices for 223 from IMR-4198 to IMR-4895 and dozens of more choices out there. I ran through several thousand rounds of 55 grain fmj loaded with Milsurp WC-844 which was what the military rounds were loaded with. Wish I had a bunch more of it.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ordered 2000 55gr FMJBT for $75 per 1000 waiting on them to arrive didnt really need them but i knew there would more than likely be a shortage for awhile so went ahead and beat the rush.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered 2000 55gr FMJBT for $75 per 1000 waiting on them to arrive didnt really need them but i knew there would more than likely be a shortage for awhile so went ahead and beat the rush.

What brand and where did you get it? My stock is good right now and I don't need any. However, if that is Hornady then you got a good deal.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like hornadys but it didnt say I got them from here but they are out of stock now. http://www.bulletheads.com/ They will just be for plinking .

Haven't seen that seller before. If they come with a brand on them, please post. You might have just found a nice alternative for plinking ammo. Hornady's are anywhere from $95 to $130 plus shipping for a 1000 bullets.

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking what powder have you had good luck with for this load? I have been trying to find literature for the Hornady .223 53gr V-Max but have come up with nothing.

I used varget my best load for the gun I made it for was 25.4 with a velocity of 3140. I'm working up a new load with Varmint on another rifle I have and it looks promising, hoping to get some nice weather this weekend to go test the loads out.

JKinds

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used varget my best load for the gun I made it for was 25.4 with a velocity of 3140. I'm working up a new load with Varmint on another rifle I have and it looks promising, hoping to get some nice weather this weekend to go test the loads out.

Thanks for the info. Let us know how it tests!

Latest posts

Top Bottom