5 shot 38 special?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish on

Marksman
Reaction score
Would a 5 shot 38 special Smith and Wesson make a 22 year old woman a good safe and easy to function first pistol for personal carry? My daughter is taking her class and I am asking for ideas for her first personal pistol.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried a S&W 642 daily for about 5 years. A friend of mine still carries his daily and he's been carrying it for a lot longer than 5 years.

The most important thing to know is that it's not an especially enjoyable range gun. Even with non +P ammo, because of its size and weight, it packs a bit of a wallop. I mention that because one of the reasons I went away from carrying it is that I was never confident in my abilities with it because I never shot it enough to become proficient with it. I didn't shoot it that much because it was just not enjoyable to shoot.

If she's a new shooter, you may consider getting one with the laser grips. I've been told that it helps new shooters with their self defense shooting ability since it's almost a point and shoot kind of thing.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like others have said, it does have a little pop in your hand. It is a simple gun to operate, no safety or fail to feed issues. If you limp wrist it, it will still make the next round available, unlike a semi auto.

Just a little tidbit of info. If she hasn't taken her class yet, take the class with a semi auto handgun. If she takes the class with a revolver, she will only be licensed to carry a derringer or revolver. (Unless rules have changed) If she uses a semi auto handgun in class, she will be licensed for derringer, revolver and semi auto pistol.

Rent one (if you get towards OKC, you can borrow my 642 (S&W Ultralight .38) to shoot and compare it next to a small 9mm. Such as a Sig 938, Glock 26, Glock 43, etc.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A small 38 revolver would be a safe and easy to function gun for the lady but I feel that a good compact 9mm auto would be a better choice. A compact nine holds more ammo, is faster to reload, and for most new shooters the trigger pull makes it easier to shoot compared to the double action pull on a snub nose revolver. I would suggest taking her to the range with the revolver and and a good compact nine like the Glock 26 or S&W shield and see which gun she shoots best.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
take the class with the semi auto for the reasons outlined above....then let her decide which one she wants to carry....her belief in the weapon is an important part of the picture...I frequently carry a 38 snub nose revolver....I like it ....give her some range time to figure it out...she will find one that she is comfortable with....as a footnote - even in her purse it should be in a holster of some sort....holsters prevent accidental discharge, keep the bore free of obstructions and make it easier to produce the gun when needed...and when you need it you really, really, need it...

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is small (#105) and carries a LCR 38+P. It can be a bit much at the range but she practices with light loads as well as +P loads. She carries CD .38 light loads. I wouldn't want to be at the receiving end with her shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom