5th Circuit..2nd amendment not a property right to a specific firearm!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recent 5th Circuit Court Decision... Liberal Justices at work carving away at our gun ownership rights by every way possible....

Appeals Court Rules: ‘2nd Amendment is Not a Property-like Right to a Specific Firearm’ Article Gun Laws, Politics & 2nd Amendment - 03.23.2012
Story by: S.H. Blannelberry

http://www.guns.com/appeals-court-r...-like-right-specific-firearm-5th-circuit.html

"Errol Houston Jr. was arrested for drug and firearm-related charges in 2008. As a result of the arrest, which stemmed from a traffic stop, the police confiscated his pistol. However, those charges were later dropped.

Once Houston's name was cleared, he attempted to get his registered gun back from the authorities. They refused to return the gun. So, with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana, Houston sued the Orleans Parish district attorney’s office.

In 2010, Houston’s case went before U.S. District Judge Jay Zainey, who dismissed the claims on the grounds that Houston “failed to allege sufficient facts to show how authorities violated his right to bear arms by retaining his pistol.”

Houston and his counsel appealed the decision to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Last Wednesday, in a majority opinion (2-1), a three-judge panel upheld the previous ruling by Judge Zainey, arguing that just as some regulation of speech –e.g., of obscenity and defamation–is “outside the reach” of the First Amendment, so, too, is some regulation of firearms outside the reach of the Second.

In other words, "The right protected by the Second Amendment is not a property-like right to a specific firearm, but rather a right to keep and bear arms for self-defense," Judge Rhesa Hawkins Barksdale wrote.

The ruling went on to say that because Houston has not alleged defendants prevented his “retaining or acquiring other firearms,” he has not, therefore, been deprived of his Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the decision makes sense. They didn't deprive him of his right to keep and bear arms, all they did was take his gun and refuse to give it back once he was cleared. Sounds more like theft of property to me.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I actually agree with their opinion. But why on earth the prosecution argued the 2nd to get property back is beyond me. They should have treated it the same as his car, or a TV, or any other item one may legally own.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess the decision makes sense. They didn't deprive him of his right to keep and bear arms, all they did was take his gun and refuse to give it back once he was cleared. Sounds more like theft of property to me.

I agree. Sounds like he tried to stretch some violation of returning property (regardless of type) into a gun rights issue since the property happened to be a gun. That doesn't help the 2A case. It's like someone turning a crime into a race issue when the victim happened to be a minority regardless of being racially motivated. Doesn't help the case to stretch non-issues to meet your agenda.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No 2nd amendment right violated. What was violated was his right to retain property that technically he legally owned. In simple terms LA stole his property. Did LA have a right to take it while he was facing criminal charges; probably. did LA have a right to keep it? I don't see how.

The guy sued based on an incorrect thought process. Dumb lawyer and justices that conspired to keep a gun out of a bad guy's hands.

Sucks to be him.

Next time hire a smarter attorney.

Maybe JB would take the case.

dammechanic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

I actually agree with their opinion. But why on earth the prosecution argued the 2nd to get property back is beyond me. They should have treated it the same as his car, or a TV, or any other item one may legally own.

I agree. Sounds like he tried to stretch some violation of returning property (regardless of type) into a gun rights issue since the property happened to be a gun. That doesn't help the 2A case. It's like someone turning a crime into a race issue when the victim happened to be a minority regardless of being racially motivated. Doesn't help the case to stretch non-issues to meet your agenda.

No 2nd amendment right violated. What was violated was his right to retain property that technically he legally owned. In simple terms LA stole his property. Did LA have a right to take it while he was facing criminal charges; probably. did LA have a right to keep it? I don't see how.

The guy sued based on an incorrect thought process. Dumb lawyer and justices that conspired to keep a gun out of a bad guy's hands.

Sucks to be him.

Next time hire a smarter attorney.

Maybe JB would take the case.

I do agree that he should have pursued this matter in a different way, but I disagree with the ruling. It was not his right to bear arms (acquire arms) that was infringed. It was his right to keep arms (his firearm) that was infringed. According to their ruling the Government could confiscate news stations and printing presses and not infringe on the right of freedom of the press.

Infringe: Act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on: "infringe on his privacy".

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Latest posts

Top Bottom