6.5 Grendel build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well for the price, I can't really go wrong and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm gonna do. I still have to order the upper receiver from Alexander Arms and some miscellaneous items as well.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll love the 18" Grendel set up. I've had mine for about a year now and its a great gun to shoot.

I have mine set up with a 18" AA upper, WCI muzzle break, Spikes lower, Magpul PRS stock and 5-15x Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical scope.

Don't forget to post photos once you finish the rifle.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what would be the advantage of the 6.5 Grendal vs the AR in 243? The 243 ammo is much easier to find and the ballistics look to be very close.

I like the idea of the 6.5 Grendal, but the availability of the ammo seems to be an issue unless you're going to reload everything you need.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Grendel can go in a standard AR15 lower, you need an AR10 for a .243.

There's some factory offerings for the Grendel, but you're right, its pretty much a reloader's round.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a tangent, how difficult is it to reload 6.5 Grendel, from a beginner's perspective? I'd think with that radical shoulder and short case, it would be finicky?

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a tangent, how difficult is it to reload 6.5 Grendel, from a beginner's perspective? I'd think with that radical shoulder and short case, it would be finicky?

Its the load I started reloading with. The first 200 rounds I loaded went without a problem but the first time I tried to reload the 1x shot brass, I made a couple of mistakes and had issues with it feeding properly. However, that was user error and nothing to do with with the brass or componets themselves.

After some advice from other members, I changed a couple of things and loaded an additional 50 rounds and had no problems.

So as long as you do it properly, you shouldn't have any problems reloading for the 6.5 Grendel.

Here's the thread I posted in the ammo section regarding the problems I was having:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106384

As far as ammo availability, you will definitely want to reload.

I haven't tried it yet, but you can also fire form 7.62x39 brass into Grendel brass. From other websites I've seen, it looks pretty easy.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got some parts in and I'll be starting to build shortly! Still waiting on my upper reciever from Alexander Arms and handguards from area51tactical. I'll get some pics up of the Sabre barrel and stuff that I got.