6.5 Grendel build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Alexander Arms upper was supposed to be here yesterday but UPS hosed me. It's got a 24" threaded barrel. I've got a few boxes of ammo already. Not sure what scope to stick on it. May go with another Bushnell Elite 6500.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well jj you weren't the only one. My receiver was shipped on the 21st and ups now shows a "rescheduled" delivery date of the 28th. What's up with that. Anyhow, I'm also contemplating optics and am torn with what I should use as well. I was initially gonna go with an AA 24" barrel, but found a smokin deal on a Sabre Defense 18" setup that I couldn't pass on.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are the parts so far. The first pic shows the Sabre Defense 18" barrel w/brake (not sure what make, but I like it) and PRI low pro gas block and tube, BCG w/matching Sabre Defense bolt installed, charging handle, upper action block, and multi tool.
ai52.tinypic.com_wgoyf8.jpg

I tried to take a picture of the Sabre Defense name and lot #, not sure that it is readable.
ai55.tinypic.com_5d713q.gif

AA upper should be here Tuesday, house renovations are done, and Houge 12" free float tube should also be here in the next couple days! All this translates into having an upper built by the end of the week....I think? When I start the build, I'll try to take more pictures of everything. Now back to looking at optics! Thanks Jason

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes, however everything that I have bought so far is used with 200rds or less through it. I should have about $500 wrapped up in this upper, barring any unexpected problems! Like I said earlier in the thread I got a smoking deal on a $400+ barrel/bolt setup, so that helped alot and should produce a better quality upper than an AA would have been. The downside is that I was originally gonna go with a 24" AA barrel/bolt, so I'll lose a little in velocity. We'll see how it turns out.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a 24" threaded AA 6.5 Grendel upper and bolt for $475 shipped. Not sure you can build one cheaper than that. It is used but only had about 120 rounds down the pipe according to the seller, a guy I trust.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes, however everything that I have bought so far is used with 200rds or less through it. I should have about $500 wrapped up in this upper, barring any unexpected problems! Like I said earlier in the thread I got a smoking deal on a $400+ barrel/bolt setup, so that helped alot and should produce a better quality upper than an AA would have been. The downside is that I was originally gonna go with a 24" AA barrel/bolt, so I'll lose a little in velocity. We'll see how it turns out.

I got a 24" threaded AA 6.5 Grendel upper and bolt for $475 shipped. Not sure you can build one cheaper than that. It is used but only had about 120 rounds down the pipe according to the seller, a guy I trust.

You guys make me sick...especailly Tactical J with the Sabre barrel deal he found. :eek2:

I bought my 19" AA upper when there was a six month wait and I thought I was lucky when I finally found one that was in stock at a slight discount.

You guys both found great deal and will enjoy shooting this round.

Goodl luck!

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And away we go! So, after sitting at home all day almost, waiting for the dang UPS guy to come, I finally got my upper reciever!! AA sets it up where a guy has to sign for their package, which is probably not a bad idea. I did get a small reward for my unpatiently sitting, which was that the final bill AA sent with the receiver included a $15 price break and an AA hat.

So here's the upper in all it's glory!
ai53.tinypic.com_2dqltgl.jpg

ai52.tinypic.com_ea12kz.jpg

I also got my Hogue 12" knurled handguards yesterday.
ai56.tinypic.com_1zmdyf9.jpg

Next thing I did was to mock the whole build up, which just simply consists of putting everything together to verify that it all fits before getting to serious about the build. It's a good thing, because I learned that the barrel nut wrench that I have is not going to work with these handguards! The lugs on the wrench don't extend far enough to get into the holes in the barrel nut, due to the way the nut was built! This is a real bummer in my opinion, because FYI the Hogue barrel nut has a lip that the actual tube threads into.
ai52.tinypic.com_2mm9vr5.jpg

So now I've got to figure out how to deal with this! Any thoughts?

Anyhow here are the pics after it was basically just screwed together.
ai56.tinypic.com_10z7l1g.jpg

ai55.tinypic.com_5jsi9y.gif

ai52.tinypic.com_2u7m4qt.gif

ai56.tinypic.com_10qi7me.jpg

More to follow. Thanks