6.5 Grendel build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big brown truck just dropped off something! Simmons 44mag 6-21X44mm mildot scope! Now I have over $500 invested!
ai54.tinypic.com_2zyv1gz.gif

It's not a fantastic scope, but it works, it's clear, and I know several people who have em on high caliber rifles and they haven't crapped out yet!

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, I'm just shooting the 123 grain Hornady factory ammo.

I ordered some 120gr Nosler ballistic tips to try and I also ordered a box of factory Hornady 123gr Amax ammo. Figure I'll try bullets till i find what it likes the best. I've had very good luck with Amax's in my 308 and 7mmRM. Next bullet will probably be Sierra MK if it don't like these. Right around 120gr is the sweet spot from what I've been reading, but each one will be different and like different grains of bullets, powder, etc. I'm hoping to get it finished today, but I'm still waiting on a mag and ammo stuff. Man mags are hard to find in stock anywhere!

I haven't tried the Amax yet but I've heard good things about them. I've had good luck with 123g Sierra MK and 129g Hornady SST. I don't know how accurate this is, but I've been told by several people on the Grendel forums to stay away from Lee Grendel Dies as they will eventually tear up your brass. I originally bought a set of Lee Dies and loaded 200 rounds without a problem but I didn't want to take a chance to ruin expensive brass, so I bought a new set. Just a heads up if you haven't bought your dies yet.

I ordered a C-products 5rd mag, as Midway had them for $13. They had several other capacity C-products listed, but did not have them in stock. I'll find some, I really just hated to pay what AA wanted. May have to though! Off to see if the wrench thing will work. Thanks for the info guys.

I have two 25 round mags from C-product and haven't had a problem with them. They seem to work just as well as the AA mags.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a set of Hornady dies when I orderd some more reloading supplies. Should be here in a couple days I hope. I orderd 1 5rd mag C-products mag from midway with some other stuff. They didn't have any others in stock, so I'll be on the look out for some more mags. I've always had good luck with c-products. Thanks for the info guys.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well for you 6.5 guys, I just found 2 places that has C-products for a pretty cheap price. 44mag.com has em for $12 with free shipping and Wideners.com has em for $10 each. I haven't checked to see if Wideners charges for shipping or not yet. C-products direct would be a good way to go as well, however, I need some AICS style mags for my 308 and I'm afraid I'd get into trouble if I go there! I may though. The wifes already whining about "how many guns do you really need" and "you can only shoot 1 at a time" etc.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well for you 6.5 guys, I just found 2 places that has C-products for a pretty cheap price. 44mag.com has em for $12 with free shipping and Wideners.com has em for $10 each. I haven't checked to see if Wideners charges for shipping or not yet. C-products direct would be a good way to go as well, however, I need some AICS style mags for my 308 and I'm afraid I'd get into trouble if I go there! I may though. The wifes already whining about "how many guns do you really need" and "you can only shoot 1 at a time" etc.

Is she into shoes or purses, etc? You can ask her the same thing. My wife could never pull that because she's got a Coach purse addiction. lol

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is she into shoes or purses, etc? You can ask her the same thing. My wife could never pull that because she's got a Coach purse addiction. lol

Yeah, my wife has shoes, purses/bags and jackets. She started in on me one day and I said let's go sell some of your shoes and crap and see how much money you get back and we can sell some of my guns and then decide what was the better investment. She hasn't said anything since.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LMAO yeah we've been down that road before. It's funny because 1 day it's bitchin and then the next day she's saying there's enough money in the bank to get that (gun or gun part). It comes and goes. She already knows what kind of investments they are because I've had to move a couple to pay for this or that at one time or another.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, my wife has shoes, purses/bags and jackets. She started in on me one day and I said let's go sell some of your shoes and crap and see how much money you get back and we can sell some of my guns and then decide what was the better investment. She hasn't said anything since.

Nice. You offer to match her dollar for dollar? She sells her stuff and you sell yours. Haha