6.5 Grendel build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something else you can try with that hand guard is getting two pieces of steel bar that'll fit in the gas tube holes. Put them on opposite sides, stick a screw driver between them and wrench it on. It obviously won't be torqued correctly, but I bet it'll get it on tighter than a strap wrench. The first upper I ever built wasn't torqued at all and it was splendidly accurate.

Most of the guys who build AR's for accuracy, torque them just like I said. Snug it, then take it to the next hole that lines up. No reason to go tighter.

BTW, I'm just shooting the 123 grain Hornady factory ammo.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll see what happens with the wrench thing. As far as loads, I ordered some 120gr Nosler ballistic tips to try and I also ordered a box of factory Hornady 123gr Amax ammo. Figure I'll try bullets till i find what it likes the best. I've had very good luck with Amax's in my 308 and 7mmRM. Next bullet will probably be Sierra MK if it don't like these. Right around 120gr is the sweet spot from what I've been reading, but each one will be different and like different grains of bullets, powder, etc. I'm hoping to get it finished today, but I'm still waiting on a mag and ammo stuff. Man mags are hard to find in stock anywhere!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll see what happens with the wrench thing. As far as loads, I ordered some 120gr Nosler ballistic tips to try and I also ordered a box of factory Hornady 123gr Amax ammo. Figure I'll try bullets till i find what it likes the best. I've had very good luck with Amax's in my 308 and 7mmRM. Next bullet will probably be Sierra MK if it don't like these. Right around 120gr is the sweet spot from what I've been reading, but each one will be different and like different grains of bullets, powder, etc. I'm hoping to get it finished today, but I'm still waiting on a mag and ammo stuff. Man mags are hard to find in stock anywhere!

No place in Tulsa had them. I tired some regular AR mags but had several fail to feeds. I ordered a few directly from Alexander Arms. Ouch!!!

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a C-products 5rd mag, as Midway had them for $13. They had several other capacity C-products listed, but did not have them in stock. I'll find some, I really just hated to pay what AA wanted. May have to though! Off to see if the wrench thing will work. Thanks for the info guys.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, got all the problems worked out and here it goes. First off let me say that my shop is a mess with the home renovations on shop renovations that are currently ongoing, so I don't want to hear anything about it as I get enough on that from the wife! I laid out all my parts for the build and took a picture of them, as follows.
ai53.tinypic.com_2n8y1ph.jpg

Then I chuck the upper reciever into the upper action block. This assembly is placed in the vise and secured.
ai55.tinypic.com_2gvr6ex.jpg

Then it's on to the important stuff, first I put the barrel in the upper receiver.
ai56.tinypic.com_2j1qtcg.jpg

Installed the barrel nut.
ai56.tinypic.com_200xpnt.jpg

ai53.tinypic.com_b82vko.gif

Then the barrel nut was tightened up with a strap wrench, which worked perfectly by the way. No it is probably not "torqued" properly and I may have to find the correct barrel nut wrench to work with this nut, but it served a purpose here today and is very secure.
ai52.tinypic.com_xpr8yc.jpg

Now I'm going to break this up into 2 different posts, for the sake of pictures! So far, so good and feel free to give your feedback or ideas. Thanks

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For my purposes, I would seat the thread by tightening and backing off several times, then I would tighten until snug and then go to the next hole that lines up. That is plenty tight, even if it's not to the proper ft.lbs. I wouldn't even worry about a torque wrench. Most people agree that is the best way to do it for accuracy, and I've never heard of anyone having their barrel nut loosen on them if done that way. The other thing you might consider would be to take the barrel and nut off and lap them together before you reassemble it to the upper.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, now to finish this thing. First let me back track just a little. One of the very first things I did was to clean all the parts real well and put some oil on the inside of them. With that said, here's the rest of the build.

Ok, so I got the barrel installed and tightened. Let's move on to the gas system. I had already installed the gas tube in the gas block, which took alittle work, as it was a tight fit. So it was ready to install on the barrel, which was simply a matter of sliding it over the barrel and running the tube through the nut and upper reciever. I guess I should have covered that with the barrel nut installation. MAKE SURE that you get the barrel nut and reciever lined up for the gas tube, which I did!
ai55.tinypic.com_161ai1.gif

Gas tube is in and it was a simple matter of making sure the gas port on the barrel was inline with the port on the gas block. VERY IMPORTANT. Then simply tightening up the 2 set screws on the bottom of the gas block and that's done.

The next step was to install the handguard tube, which just slides over the barrel and gas block, then threads into the barrel nut. I tightened it up slightly with the same strap wrench.
ai51.tinypic.com_2j5dzqs.jpg

So next comes the muzzle brake, which again is very simple. Make sure that you get your washer on there, then thread the brake on and tighten it down. The only thing you have to worry about here is that you get it indexed properly, which I did by simply eyeballing it to be in the right position so it doesn't port down and throw dirt in your face. As you can see I did get some use out of my wrench after all, however a 3/4" wrench would have worked just fine.
ai52.tinypic.com_jt9cer.jpg

ai51.tinypic.com_2ntfptj.jpg

So now we're ready for the bolt and charging handle. I just flipped the upper and action block around in the vise and it's ready to install. I tore the whole bolt down and cleaned it thoroughly. I laid it all out in order, from right to left, so it could be explained simply. If you've never torn down your bolt and carrier it's very simple and you can do the same way I did.
ai54.tinypic.com_9rixa9.gif

And here it is all back together and ready to install. You can also see my favorite lubricators as well. I strongly recommend both the Break Free wipes containing CLP and the lucas gun oil, nothing stays put like Lucas!
ai53.tinypic.com_291g7ys.jpg

So I slid the charging handle into the upper, which is simple again, as it is notched and will only go in 1 way!
ai55.tinypic.com_259d3pk.jpg

Then the bolt goes in and again will only go 1 way.
ai54.tinypic.com_104eold.jpg

Ok well now we pretty much have a complete upper at this point. It's time to tear down the entry rifle and check it out on the lower. So to the safe we go!
Ah here we are, a nice DPMS lower reciever to put it on for now.
ai54.tinypic.com_2h4gxnr.jpg

This is so simple that anybody should be able to do this, it's 2 pins to take the upper off and the same 2 pins to put it back on, so I'll go no further on that. So here is what we've been working for, the finished product. WAIT FOR IT.....WAIT FOR IT....Ok, I can't wait anymore so here.
ai54.tinypic.com_35bcif7.jpg

ai54.tinypic.com_tahv76.jpg

ai56.tinypic.com_2mq91ex.jpg

So there it is. Now I just got to save the money and come up with a dedicated lower to put on it. Can you say Magpul PRS stock! I'm also thinking about getting a Black Rain lower, just because they look cool, but I'm sure it will be something simple and plain jane. I do know that it will have a 2 stage trigger in it though!

So for know it's on to the next project and heres alittle teaser of that.
ai56.tinypic.com_2exy6ty.jpg

Well goodluck to those who want to build their own AR's. It's simple and easy, however, I would have to recommend that you check you headspace, which I will be doing when my Midway order gets here today or tomorrow. Safety is very important when your dealing with things that explode, especially when it's right next to your face!!!!! Enjoy guys, I'm very satisified at this point. I'll post some more pics when I get to the range, which may not be anytime soon cuz it's coooooold out there!
Thanks, I hope you enjoyed the thread.
Jason

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Note well taken Doc. However, I really hope that you guys don't expect to get all my secrets in this thread! Anyhow, I did exactly that in regards to loosening and tightening the barrel not several times to get it to seat good and tight.