6.5x47 Lapua vs 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now I have a Rem 700 in 308 that I have been playing with for a medium to long range gun. I have a friend that just traded for a 6.5x47 Lapua rifle that came with a spare barrel, and it sounds like it is already chambered and threaded for a 700 action. Just curious if it would be a good switch, from 308 to the 6.5. I already have a 6.5-06, and I shoot the 123 gr AMax's in it, which I have read seems to be one of the better bullets for the Lapua round as well. Just looking for some feedback from any of yall that have experience with the 6.5x47 cartridge. It sure sounds like a good deal from what I've been reading. Thanks in advance, and if you don't mind sharing some of the powders, bullets, etc that you use it would be nice to hear about the loading angle as well. Clint

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Below are some quick thoughts.

I shoot the 260 Remington a lot, which is very similar to the Lapua. However, if I wasn't regularly shooting distances past 600 yards, I probably wouldn't make the switch. The ballistics to the 6.5x47 are generally superior, but if you shoot the 155 Lapua Scenar bullet with a .508 BC, you don't give up much of anything versus that 123 Amax at .510 through medium distances.

In the 260 Remington I shoot Reloader 17 to over 2950fps with a 25" barrel. I don't think the 6.5x47 has quite enough boiler to go that fast though.
308 brass, components, and load data are very plentiful. There are a plethora of published accurate loads for the 308, which is not so much the case with 6.5 x 47 Lapua.

I understand that the 6.5x47 cartridge is sexier, but I just don't know if I would make the switch. Factor in the cost to buy new brass and dies, and it would add up quick. Then again, if your 308 is the stock barrel, I would probably drop that sucker in a heartbeat. Do you know the manufacturer of the 6.5x47 barrel? My experience with stock Remington barrels is their freebore is so lengthy that pretty much any custom barrel will help you in the accuracy department.

Learn to read the wind better than the guy next to you and you can generally out shoot them!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ASP785, my Rem 700 308 does have the standard pencil barrel on it, and the 6.5x47 is a Palma (contour?) Bartlein barrel. I understand that the Lapua brass will be more expensive, and I will have to buy new dies, although I think I might sell/trade some of the 308 stuff to cover the new stuff since I don't have another 308. Plus, I'm thinking that the Lapua will do as good or better as the 308 and with less recoil, which could come in handy for the kids later on (as well as me ;)).

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then change it and enjoy!

The Bartlein barrel alone should help you in the accuracy department, you just get reduced recoil and better external ballistics in the process. Thats a win-win.

Reloader 17 or 4831SC should be your powders. The 4831SC has better lot to lot consistency and temperature stability. The R17 will give you better velocity.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ASP785, do you know of a powder that might work in the Lapua and a 6.5-06? I was thinking that H4350 might work, I shoot it in my 6.5-06 already and have seen some data for it in the 6.5x47L in a little wondering on the interwebs. Thanks for the input!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a heads up on new 123gn A-Max - last lot I got would disintegrate 30 yards out of barrel at only 2700 fps. I believe they are designed for grendel and they have thinned the jacket.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
around 39gr RL15 and just blew the OAL out my backside with 123scenars and 130 bergs............ Waiting to switch to 4350 and see how it compares. (Naturally load testing and safety is your responsibility)

Run er till she's gone and go to .260. The 6.5 is crazy boring (in a great way), but wish I would've stuck to a caliber I could buy in a store in a pinch. The 6.5L is/was gaining, but now the 6.5CM and other 6mm high BC rounds, and others in development, are going to spread the wealth too far for the x47 to really be 'common' in box stores.

Nice addition though getting that Bartlein, top tier all the way.

Those looking for barrels to drill single holes - Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek, Kreiger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom