6.5x47 Lapua vs 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up the barrel on Monday; is there any way to check what brand a barrel is? It's already threaded and chambered, stamped "6.5x47", but no other markings. MoBoost (and others), what bullets might yall recommend, especially one that might work in my 6.5-06 as well? I think the Lapua is a 8.5:1, the '06 I think is a 1:12 though (I checked just can't remember now LOL). Looks like this might be a slow build, if I want it done right anyway. Any suggestions on steps that will help on the build would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks guys for the help!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up the barrel on Monday; is there any way to check what brand a barrel is? It's already threaded and chambered, stamped "6.5x47", but no other markings. .... Any suggestions on steps that will help on the build would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks guys for the help!

Take it to Steve Baldwin. He has a very good selection of 6.5mm reamers. You can set the barrel back and rechamber back to 6.5x47 and you'll have match chamber and fresh throat, or you can do 6.5XC or 6.5CM or 6.5SLR or 260 or 260IMP.

My top two would be 6.5x47 and 6.5 SLR - I'm just a big fan of 30deg shoulder.

6mmar.com_images_65_cartridges__2.jpg

*.260 Rem (left) vs 6.5mm Super LR (left Center) vs 6.5 Creedmoor (right center) vs 6.5 x 47 Lapua (right)

what bullets might yall recommend, especially one that might work in my 6.5-06 as well? I think the Lapua is a 8.5:1, the '06 I think is a 1:12 though (I checked just can't remember now LOL).
What you should be shooting is 140gn Bergers, but I don't think your twist rates will work.
8.5 will be more suitable for 120s
I don't think 1 in 12 will stabilize anything in current production.

Latest posts

Top Bottom