8 Gauge Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recall reading that someone imported a double barrel eight gauge in the 1960's or 1970's. It was big and heavy. This was a true shotgun, not an African "rifle". Obtaining shells was/is not easy, although apparently Winchester Olin made 8 gauge shotshells for knocking the scale off the inside of commercial kilns.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reading the RBP novel Appaloosa was my first introduction to an 8 gauge. I'm currently right, smack dab in the middle of Parker's newest (and last! :cry3:) Cole & Hitch novel Blue-Eyed Devil. Everett is still totin' his Wells-Fargo 8 gauge.

[Broken External Image]

In the movie, Everett's 8 gauge is actually a Colt 1878 in 12 gauge that they "modified" to look like an 8 gauge.

If any of you western purists have never seen Appaloosa, you are really missing out! They went above and beyond trying to make this movie as historically accurate as possible with the scenery, weapons, clothing, hats, haircuts, saddles, etc. It's defifnitely one of my very favorite movies of all time. :thumb:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reading the RBP novel Appaloosa was my first introduction to an 8 gauge. I'm currently right, smack dab in the middle of Parker's newest (and last! :cry3:) Cole & Hitch novel Blue-Eyed Devil. Everett is still totin' his Wells-Fargo 8 gauge.

[Broken External Image]

In the movie, Everett's 8 gauge is actually a Colt 1878 in 12 gauge that they "modified" to look like an 8 gauge.

If any of you western purists have never seen Appaloosa, you are really missing out! They went above and beyond trying to make this movie as historically accurate as possible with the scenery, weapons, clothing, hats, haircuts, saddles, etc. It's defifnitely one of my very favorite movies of all time. :thumb:

All my top favorites have 1 name in common, Sergio Leon.
Fist Full of Dollars
For a few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Once upon a time in the west
Fist full of Dynomite

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot a single shot 10 gauge. 3 1/2 inch buck shot, it kicked but it was so heavy that it took up a lot of recoil, think it had a 30 or more inch barrel.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my top favorites have 1 name in common, Sergio Leon.
Fist Full of Dollars
For a few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Once upon a time in the west
Fist full of Dynomite

As goofy as it may sound, I really enjoy Clint Eastwood in damn near anything EXCEPT a western. :ugh2:

I know... :screwy:

This is my very favorite scene from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. :rollingla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPYL8EGOWok

Of course, there are a couple of goofs in that scene.

First, when he takes the "closed" sign off of the door and walks in, he hangs it on the wall to the left of the door. At the end of the scene, when he's walking to the door, the "closed" sign is hanging on the back of the door.

Also, he loads the "custom" revolver with six cartridges, steps out back, fires all six, walks back in, grabs the sombrero, a leather lanyard and says, "cartridge!" The shop keeper hands him one and he loads it, spinning the cylinder.

HE NEVER UNLOADED THE SIX SPENT SHELLS!!! :soapbox:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As goofy as it may sound, I really enjoy Clint Eastwood in damn near anything EXCEPT a western. :ugh2:

I know... :screwy:

This is my very favorite scene from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. :rollingla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPYL8EGOWok

Of course, there are a couple of goofs in that scene.

First, when he takes the "closed" sign off of the door and walks in, he hangs it on the wall to the left of the door. At the end of the scene, when he's walking to the door, the "closed" sign is hanging on the back of the door.

Also, he loads the "custom" revolver with six cartridges, steps out back, fires all six, walks back in, grabs the sombrero, a leather lanyard and says, "cartridge!" The shop keeper hands him one and he loads it, spinning the cylinder.

HE NEVER UNLOADED THE SIX SPENT SHELLS!!! :soapbox:

I like the entire movie, but if I had to pick a scene, it would be the very last... "BLOND! YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE??? YOU ARE A SON OF A *Ah Ah Ah dum dum dum*"

However, I noticed the last time I watched it that Tuco runs in a very gay way when searching for the grave of Stanton.

Latest posts

Top Bottom