870 Police Magnum Extension or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keep the extension or ditch it?

• Keep the extension on the shotgun. It makes zombies scared and gun grabbers wet their pants

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Loose the extension and keep it classic looking.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up the Remington 870 Police Magnum I purchased. It came with the synthetic stock and 2 shot extension. Receiver has some surface rust aswell as the barrel. rear rifle sight is missing the adjustable portion and therecoil pad looks like someone has drug it down a gravel road or a dog got ahold of it. I'm going to have the entire gun refinished and have ghost rings installed. I also will be replacing the syn stock with a walnut stock off of a newer Police Magnum.

I initially wanted to ditch the extension in favor of the more traditional look, but with the ghost rings on top I'm reconsidering. I have everything on order to replace the 2 shot extension with a standard magazine cap and standard capacity length spring.

And I'll come out and say it now. I'm not posting any pictures until the finish product is back in my hands.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you asking, or telling?:) My personal preference is to have the extension. If I have extra barrel hanging out there, I may as well get two extra rounds for the length. If it were a "bear gun", much carried, infrequently shot, I'd probably leave the extension off, but for a home gun...

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Asking.

I have always like the Police Magnum setup in either Blued or Park. The nice light finished Walnut stock sets it apart from anyother pump gun in my mind.

I have considered going the SBS route and getting a 14" barrel. That is probably my underlying reason for no extension. But I'll be realistic on this one and keep the AFT out of it for now.

It will be a home gun for now. This will be my first big project gun that requires refinishing.

I guess I can start out without the extension and put it back on if I decide to switch.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's how strange I am. :screwy:

With synthetic furniture, I like the mag tube to be even with the muzzle.

With wood, I like the mag tube to be slightly shorter than the barrel.

If that 870 were mine, I would change out the plastic stock and forearm to walnut, take the 2 round ext. off and put a one rounder on there. A riot/HD scattergun should hold more than just four rounds. 5 or 6 is good. I know it's just ONE round, but...:rolleyes2

I would also get a leather butt cuff for the stock in a nice russet brown. Galco makes a nice one. A guy named Andy Langlois (www.shottist.com) makes an awesome one for about $45. I just got one in walnut (kinda chocolate brown) for my coach gun that I'll be picking up Monday. :woohoo1:

Yeah...I put the cart before the horse. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom