9mm .40 .45 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well. No matter what massad, sannow, or any liars say. A heavier bullet stays on path better. Do I carry a 45...no. but I do carry. Will I use it properly under stress is a better question than caliber or loads...

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FYI. once springer makes the. 45 gap EMP pistol. I will carry a 45 again. Untill then. Its a. 40

And as for 9mm being cheaper. I think I can afford a couple extra dollar bills per box to practice. My family and my own life is worth it to me.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell it to a 70 caliber musket.

E = 1/2 MV^2

Since we can manage only so much recoil - big and slow or fast and small - can't have both.

Sure you can. Use muzzle brakes and other methods of redirecting and/or converting energy, like the KRISS, adding more mass to the weapon (Force/Mass=Acceleration), and extended/enhanced/padded butt pads (which granted doesn't help with pistols).

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anybody here who has been shot with 9mm, 40 and 45 please tell us which one you found most unpleasant? And which one most allowed you to continue your actions that caused to you to get your ass shot in the first place? I have not met anyone who has had the experience first hand who can talk about it and give us a rational comparison.

I am really not worried about what to carry today...maybe I'll just throw a J-Frame or a .380 in my pocket.

I have not been shot. I have however seen the effects of 9mm at close range on two skinny little 19 year old girls who each took 8 or so rounds to the torso each and both survived. Seems to me that 9mm speedy little bullets entered fast and exited fast and left some holes, but the desired effect of expansion and large wound channels and damage was simply not a reality in that scenario.

I prefer a .45 whenever the situation allows for it.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not been shot. I have however seen the effects of 9mm at close range on two skinny little 19 year old girls who each took 8 or so rounds to the torso each and both survived. Seems to me that 9mm speedy little bullets entered fast and exited fast and left some holes, but the desired effect of expansion and large wound channels and damage was simply not a reality in that scenario.

I prefer a .45 whenever the situation allows for it.

That same effect should happen witih .40 and .45 as well.

While I don't have first hand experience of wounds caused by pistol rounds, research shows that 9, .40, and .45 are all similar in penetration and wounding effects; they all only damage what they physically touch. You'd need a much higher velocity round to create a large permanent wound cavity.

As has been stated over and over, what matters is shot placement when talking about pistol calibers. I'd rather have lower recoil and more rounds in the magazine for quicker follow up shots, which is why I like 9mm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom