A friend's old Winchester lever - educate me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to Secret Santa, I get to break out my brand new Blue Book!

This rifle was manufactured in 1888. (SRL's 284529 to 323219 according to the Blue Book and U.S. Repeating Arms, New Haven, CT).

Serial number makes this an 1873 (Saddle Ring) Carbine - Third Model. I'd like to see a picture of the top of the rifle just to confirm that the dust cover rail is integral with the frame. This has the 20" barrel with 2 barrel bands. Caliber is .44-40 WCF.

DO NOT CLEAN IT!!

Below are pics from the book referring to this particular model:
1873-1-1.JPG

1873-2-1.JPG

It's difficult to grade the condition of that rifle from the pictures provided. Aside from the chiseled screw, it looks to be in really great shape for it's age. I tried comparing the photos you sent with the PPGS grading system in the blue book. It's difficult not seeing inside with the action open, inside the bore, and more close up shots of the receiver. I think you can conservatively put this rifle at 20%. Value range, I think it's probably a safe bet to value this rifle in the $2,200 to $2,500 range. Just my opinion though. A more detailed examination and rating might raise or lower that value, but I'm doing my best with the photos provided. Hopefully this info helps. That is a really fantastic rifle, with an incredible history behind it.

Last edited:

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great looking rifle. I’m more into the milsurps of that era, but I would check the stock for any stamps & the metal for any markings to confirm all parts are correct for that model. It’s a fun way to learn about that history & value of the rifle. Also check the bore for rust/pitting & address that if needed. Great find.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like a very cool little piece of history.

My wife was just given her late grandmother's old Hi Standard Sentinel .22 revolver. Grandma called it her "little black dog", and said its bite was worse than its bark. LOL! As far as I can find out, it was made in 1948.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's pretty cool. I see a bunch of 'em in much nicer shape out there, but then I don't know if they've been restored, if they were really carried or used, etc.

This belongs to a good friend, it was apparently her grandfather's. He was the Texas Ranger. His son was full bird Colonel in the Army and passed it on down to her. No way am I acquiring it, she will pass it on down to her son. Although I sure would, but I don't think I can afford it, and she has a son who should keep it in the family - unless he just doesn't WANT it, which sounds crazy to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom