A good "tactical" knife on a budget.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after watching a gozillion videos of at least a dozen different knives, I've decided on two.

The ESEE Izula II and the CRKT Pangolin.

Does anybody have any experience with both of these and can tell me the difference between them other than 30 bucks?

I'm sure the Izula II is probably a better knife, but does that make the CRKT a "bad" knife?

Your thoughts please...

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of those two, it's a no-brainer. One (ESSE) is made by an American that probably cares about you, the other, cheap commie labor.

I'm curious about those two blade designs. Why a skinning style blade?

Just to throw another option at you, I picked up a Scharade SCH111 for a replacement to a folding karambit. For $20, this thing is great. It's meant for a reverse grip that is easy to dispatch. I like this style for gun belts since it is more efficient at close distances. (in my opinion.)
It comes with paracord to wrap the handle and a very good sheath.
media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_Primary_581_581234.jpg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never really cared for Karambit styles. They always looked to me like something I would just hurt myself with. Kinda like those damned ol' butterfly knives. YEEOUCH!

Basically, I want the style of knife that I've asked about because I'm gonna mount it on my loadout for a last ditch emergency type of blade.

I think after further thought, I probably will go with the Izula II.

Now to pick what color. :scratch:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I saved my money and picked up the ESEE Izula II. While it was an awesome little knife, it was just too damned small for my big ol' meathooks. :disappoin

So...I sent the Izula II back and saved my toppins for something a little bit bigger, but now I can't decide between the ESEE 3 or the ESEE 4. :scratch:

Besides the ESEE 4 being an inch longer, are there any other major differences that makes it a better fixed blade than the ESEE 3? :anyone:

Thanks for everybody's input. :bighug:

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've seen pics of an izula in use skinning a moose. the warranty is unbeatable, and if you get it without kit, its quite a bit cheaper... personally never saw the need for a longer handle, or scales, even. i just paracord wrap my izula from time to time. it's been in the same wrap for a few years now...

i've batonned mine more than i should have, including a 2.5" thick oak sapling. still going strong.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 4 is a 3/16 thick blade, the 3 has 1/8. both full flat ground, same scales. the 4 would be more unbreakable, but the 3 is a tough bugger.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ontario 499 Airforce Pilot Survival knife is an excellent knife. I bought mine in 1986. Still serves me well to this day. Even though i have an ESSE 5 and a Blackjack Halo Attack 13 as well as a Phrobus III M9, i refuse to retire the 499. For $40, its damned good!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ontario 499 Airforce Pilot Survival knife is an excellent knife. I bought mine in 1986. Still serves me well to this day. Even though i have an ESSE 5 and a Blackjack Halo Attack 13 as well as a Phrobus III M9, i refuse to retire the 499. For $40, its damned good!

Yeah, I had one of those when I was a kid. Loved that knife...but I kinda have my doubts about Ontario nowadays, after I ordered a RAT-3. The damned thing showed up as dull as a butter knife.

Completely unacceptable. :hellno:

I boxed it back up and sent it back just as quick as I opened it.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the 499 is a REAL military knife complete with REAL DOD stock number.
When an item is accepted and given a number, that item must NEVER be changed. To make any design or quality changes they have to be approved by congress. Literally!
499 is a safe bet.
Keep in mind that thw 499 is not a full tang design. It is a rattail tang design. Nothing wrong with that if you use the knife like a knife and not a hatchet or crow bar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom