A Review of the S&W Model 681

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a great looking Smith. I've started a collection affaire with Smith revolvers lately. Glock 'em down that's a cool story on sighting in your Smith. Woulda scared the crap outa me too. I remember a story, I think in "Guns" magazine by ether John Taffin or Mike Venturino, a fixed sight revolver "sight in tool" was fabricated and was for use at the range. A vice of sorts that held the barrel of the pistol. Then you simply and carefully bent the barrel a little. The cool part is that this takes a lot of force so how do you get the leverage to do this at the gun range? Well, they made the vice fit in the receiver hitch on a pickup. Kinda cool I thought.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good review. I love my 681 no dash. It seems to me that model is fairly rare. The only one I've ever seen in the wild is the one that I bought on this forum. I definitely prefer the fixed sights over the adjustable sights.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 413

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good review. I love my 681 no dash. It seems to me that model is fairly rare. The only one I've ever seen in the wild is the one that I bought on this forum. I definitely prefer the fixed sights over the adjustable sights.

What is the K-frame? A model 64 or 65?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the model 64 and 65 are K frames, but there are two types of K frames. The fixed sight versions: models 10, 12, 13, 64 and 65 which are nicknamed the Military & Police models and the adjustable sight versions: the model 15 and 67 which are dubbed the Combat Masterpiece and the models 19 and 66 which are called the Combat Magnum.

Smith & Wesson have a gozillion different models. I know this because over the years I've just about owned them all. :rolleyes2

The model 10 and 64 are both M&P revolvers chambered in .38 Special. The model 10 was available in blued or nickel finish while the model 64 was done entirely in stainless steel. The models 13 and 65 are also M&P revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum, available in blued and nickel (model 13) and stainless steel (model 65).

The models 13 and 65 are highly sought after because they were available in a 3 inch/round butt configuration. Quite possibly the finest carry gun ever. They were also offered in pinned and recessed versions.

The Combet Masterpiece, model 15 was also chambered in .38 Special and available in blue and nickel. It's stainless steel counterpart is the model 67.

The Combat Magnum was the model 19 and 66. The 19 was blued and nickel and the 66 was stainless.

There is also a model 17 which was a K frame in 22LR with a blued finish. They say it was made in nickel but I've never seen one.

That leaves my personal favorite, the model 12. It was an M&P revolver, chambered in .38 Special, offered in blue or nickel but it was actually S&W's very first Airweight revolver. Great little wheelie!

Then you have the L frames and N frames and J frames and I frames and... :blahblah:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
~snip~

The models 13 and 65 are highly sought after because they were available in a 3 inch/round butt configuration. Quite possibly the finest carry gun ever. They were also offered in pinned and recessed versions.

~snip~
The gun in my avatar is a Model 65. And somewhere in my safe I have a Model 13 3" RB. When I took it to LFI in Long Beach, California in 1985, I also took a small-frame Colt 4" along as well. I qualified with the Colt.

I rarely carry anything less than a 4" barrel, and when I do, it is my 3" J-frame in 32 S&W Long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom