A Review of the S&W Model 681

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm definitely a revolver guy and Smiths are my favorite. Of course my autos are Smiths as well.....

I still believe that the S&W 3rd gen autos (5906, 4006, 4506 etc) are some of the most overlooked and under appreciated bottom feeders in the business.

In this world of the latest and greatest plastic fantastic, they never really got a fair shake. Such a pity because they are truly awesome firearms.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I still believe that the S&W 3rd gen autos (5906, 4006, 4506 etc) are some of the most overlooked and under appreciated bottom feeders in the business.

In this world of the latest and greatest plastic fantastic, they never really got a fair shake. Such a pity because they are truly awesome firearms.
I'd like to have one of their metal 9mm's. I have two SW1911's and an M&P9 and a Shield.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Getting back to the 681, here is a picture of my 681 after a little project done by my gunsmith in Ark City, Kansas.

This is a lanyard attachment I had him to put in my wheelgun. He milled the frame of the handgun and tapped the hole. The attachment itself is made by Hogue and is removable. There is a quick-link fastener that I put on the attachment to make it easier take the lanyard on or off.

This would be very useful if I were out in the boonies by myself, on a boat, or something similar. Some of you might not see the necessity of it and that's fine, but I have always thought that lanyards were good things to have on some handguns. If I don't need the lanyard attached to the gun, it is easily screwed out and a standard 10-24 thread screw is used to plug the hole so the threads are not damaged.

Just thought I'd share. I think he did a good job.[/QUOTE]

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it looks awesome.

I'm luvin' that Tyler T-grip too. :naughty:
Thank you: I appreciate the very kind words.

I had it installed in case I ever go up into the boonies or go to sea, as it makes the loss of my valuable handgun a lot less likely. This guy on the Kansas forum made rifle slings out of 550 paracord, so I had him make me a lanyard. He did an excellent job, and I think that the lanyard could be used to hang someone, it is that strong. A very slight problem with it was that the metal rings at each end are too large for the small quik-link fastener that I had, so I had to go the hardware store and get the next size larger link and it works fine now. I suppose a carabiner would work as well, but I think the quik-link is more secure.

I like the Tyler T-grips as well. If you notice on my avatar, I have one on my Model 65 as well. I also have them on some of my other wheelguns as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom