A utility company locked thousands of customers out of their “smart” thermostats in Colorado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who could have seen that coming?
Apparently quite a few who voluntarily signed up for the program.

From the article:
All of the customers affected had enrolled in an energy-saving program, called AC Rewards, that’s meant to ease the strain on the power grid during heatwaves. Xcel can adjust those customers’ smart thermostats when demand gets so high that there might not be enough supply to meet it. Xcel offers a one-time $100 credit on electricity bills upon signing up, and $25 a year afterward for participation.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ATT wanted me to get their fiber instead of the old telephone line.
They ran the stuff in our neighborhood and said it would not cost any more.

I told them do not touch my stuff as everything I have been told by ATT was lies.
I kept getting letters in the mail from them to switch and I tossed them in the trash.

I got one letter that stated if I did not switch by October something they would automatically switch me to fiber as they were doing away with all the old stuff.

MF ers.
I bet some day electric companies will force crap on you.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Resistance is futile.

Nothing surprising is happening.
Oldest son was asking, he had gotten letter asking to put in "smart" meter and SAVE $$$$.
He and Wif work rotating shift. I asked how is that going to be, when you or her are day sleeping and they shut off A/C.
He refused to sign up.
4 years later, Wif wakes up, hot in house. He gets home, sees meter has been changed.
Called electric company. They claimed nothing had been changed. He told them his nurse wif worked nights and had a/c. He was contacting lawyer, he had pics of the old meter and new, with a copy of refusal notice. There was a service truck out within an hour.
A week later he receives a customer satisfaction survey on his new smart meter.
He hasn't received anything since, but a monthly bill, which went down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom