A utility company locked thousands of customers out of their “smart” thermostats in Colorado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Resistance is futile.

Nothing surprising is happening.
Oldest son was asking, he had gotten letter asking to put in "smart" meter and SAVE $$$$.
He and Wif work rotating shift. I asked how is that going to be, when you or her are day sleeping and they shut off A/C.
He refused to sign up.
4 years later, Wif wakes up, hot in house. He gets home, sees meter has been changed.
Called electric company. They claimed nothing had been changed. He told them his nurse wif worked nights and had a/c. He was contacting lawyer, he had pics of the old meter and new, with a copy of refusal notice. There was a service truck out within an hour.
A week later he receives a customer satisfaction survey on his new smart meter.
He hasn't received anything since, but a monthly bill, which went down.
Sometimes you gotta squeak that wheel for all its worth! :)

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Resistance is futile.

Nothing surprising is happening.
Oldest son was asking, he had gotten letter asking to put in "smart" meter and SAVE $$$$.
He and Wif work rotating shift. I asked how is that going to be, when you or her are day sleeping and they shut off A/C.
He refused to sign up.
4 years later, Wif wakes up, hot in house. He gets home, sees meter has been changed.
Called electric company. They claimed nothing had been changed. He told them his nurse wif worked nights and had a/c. He was contacting lawyer, he had pics of the old meter and new, with a copy of refusal notice. There was a service truck out within an hour.
A week later he receives a customer satisfaction survey on his new smart meter.
He hasn't received anything since, but a monthly bill, which went down.

So you're saying the smart meter shut off the air conditioner (A/C) and not the whole house? That's what you appear to be saying.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're saying the smart meter shut off the air conditioner (A/C) and not the whole house? That's what you appear to be saying.

This thread is getting confusing. The title states that they were shutting off smart "thermostats," but a number of the forum participants are referring to smart "meters."

Either could be an issue, but since we live in an RV (and our meter is not a smart one), we have no issues with someone cutting us off.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
ATT wanted me to get their fiber instead of the old telephone line.
They ran the stuff in our neighborhood and said it would not cost any more.

I told them do not touch my stuff as everything I have been told by ATT was lies.
I kept getting letters in the mail from them to switch and I tossed them in the trash.

I got one letter that stated if I did not switch by October something they would automatically switch me to fiber as they were doing away with all the old stuff.

MF ers.
I bet some day electric companies will force crap on you.
Years ago it went the other way. There was one corporation commissioner in OKC that kept voting against SW Bell and their hikes. His telephone exchange was the absolute last exchange in Oklahoma that got touch tone. The trend continued until he passed. His exchange was always the last for any upgrade.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't like smart electric meters that can control the usage from your home(not individual appliances which is impossible) get ready to have only a credit card for purchases. No cash allowed. It's coming like it or not. The government is going to control your finances as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom