A what Cleaner do You use Thread...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lube thread was enlightening in that the wide variety of lubricants chosen by OSA'rs surprised me. In addition there were some very good ideas in there that will be tried by me.

Made me wonder if there was the same diversity of usage with bore cleaners.

So what do you use to clean your firearms and specifically the bore?

As for me I am a fan of Butch's Bore Shine and Breakfree CLP.

Butch's does a great job on carbon and a good job with copper. It claims it removes lead too but I really can't say whether it does or not as I don't shoot much lead.

I start out with Butch's and a 10 minute or so soak while I go after the frame and trigger parts. Then swab the barrel with a jag and patch 'till a patch comes out clean. Inspect the barrel to make sure it shines and there's no copper left behind. Do a follow up with CLP because I think the teflon it leaves behind is a good thing. So a well soaked patch on an eyelet gets pushed thru the barrel in and out 4 or 5 times. then dry patches until they come out clean and finish up with a lightly soaked patch with CLP which will be gone in a few days and leaves behind teflon.

I've tried Hoppes #9 and don't understand the love affair people have with it as for me at least, a follow up with CLP always looked like #9 had accomplished nothing at all. MPRO 7 which is good but not up to Butches. Tried foaming bore cleaners - again good but not up to Butches.

So what do y'all use to clean those bores out? One is always willing to learn new tricks.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Breakfree CLP, Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner, Hoppes#9 and sometimes Simple Greeen when I strip my polymer frames all the way down. Another good thing for poly frames is to just chunk it in the dishwasher (when Momma ain't home of course) with whatever that stuff is that she uses for the dishes; the dishwasher-soap-tablet things. And, it comes out smelling April Fresh!

Latest posts

Top Bottom