??? about Dillon 550 primer tube ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My primers are hanging up in the tube. I am thinking it needs to be cleaned, but I am a little leery of taking the machine apart ... No, GC is not here ... Any suggestions??

Thanks guys!!

vwnotrunning

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had the primer stick in the tube, but the slide that picks them up from the tube sometimes gets grime on it and does not go all the way in to pick up the next primer.

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I had a primer hangup in my feed tube, that was attached to the machine, I forgotten to fully engage the plastic feed tips. To fix it, I unscrewed the knurled, silver cap and lifter the tube full of primers out. Then I carefully emptied the tube onto my primer flip tray to be used later. Check your primer feed mechanism to make sure none have gotten trapped. This would be at the bottom where the sliding bar picks them up and seats them in the cases.
Now take the empty primer feed tube, check the plastic tip, red I think, and carefully put it back inside the black primer housing. Gently begin to turn it until you feel the tab slide into place. Then pick use your primer pick-up tubes to load about ten primers and see if that fixed your problem.
I have never cleaned any of my primer tubes.

Andrew

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time I had a primer hangup in my feed tube, that was attached to the machine, I forgotten to fully engage the plastic feed tips. To fix it, I unscrewed the knurled, silver cap and lifter the tube full of primers out. Then I carefully emptied the tube onto my primer flip tray to be used later. Check your primer feed mechanism to make sure none have gotten trapped. This would be at the bottom where the sliding bar picks them up and seats them in the cases.
Now take the empty primer feed tube, check the plastic tip, red I think, and carefully put it back inside the black primer housing. Gently begin to turn it until you feel the tab slide into place. Then pick use your primer pick-up tubes to load about ten primers and see if that fixed your problem.
I have never cleaned any of my primer tubes.

Andrew

GC took the whole machine apart not that long ago and cleaned it but the primers act like there is some kind of slight residue in the tube. Not every primer will hang but when it does it is really frustrating. GC just threaded the piece of a cleaning patch at the end of a wrapped florist wire down it a couple of times. Seems to be working fine now, so we will see ...

Thanks!!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had the primer stick in the tube, but the slide that picks them up from the tube sometimes gets grime on it and does not go all the way in to pick up the next primer.

Your screen name made me LOL ... we were vintage VW owners for a long time! He got some grimey stuff out of the tube when he ran the patch down it so I am thinking that was our problem.

Fixing to test it now. If he has remedied my problem I will be gone as I have bullets to reload!! :patriot:

Latest posts

Top Bottom