About to buy a tactical bolt gun, suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I wish I had followed my own advice, but alas, I bought before I researched.

This is a little old, but not much has changed.
i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Rem_20700_100_1659_Small.jpg

I have the B&C A2 Medalist stock (~$240 shipped from http://www.stockysstocks.com)
EGW HD base (steel, ~$40 from Midway)
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 scope ($375 from Wanenmachers - a steal)

Next up is a Hart barrel I already have, just need to get it installed and the headspace checked.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the new savage arms are impressive, I would build on a Rem700ADL (or whatever the cheapest 700 series is now) Since you're planning a new stock and trigger, you might as well go full bore with a new barrel and bottom metal/box mag conversion. The 700 is the 10-22 of the centerfire world. There are limitless possibilities and parts available for the platform. All you really need is the action to build on, and you can buy that stand alone.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the new savage arms are impressive, I would build on a Rem700ADL

Yeah, it's hard to call it "building" when you can put a scope on it and go win matches :P:rotflmao: You can also complain how the tapperware stock feels cheap and the barrel nut is ugly while doing so.

Like I've said it before - the trick to building a Remington is to use as little Remington parts as possible ... the best are built with absolutely NONE!

As far as OP's Remington fix - just like with 1911s - I would recommend just getting one and leaving it alone, just bring it out and shoot it for what it's worth.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the trick to building a Remington is to use as little Remington parts as possible ...

Don't be a hater. What kind of attitude is "shoot it for what it's worth"??? We wouldn't have sub-moa 10-22's if that were the general consensus of our firearm world. We wouldn't have the new (extremely well built) savage. We wouldn't have Glock perfection if we all settled...

.45Fats

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you want to try a couple different stocks I've got a B&C a5 on a rem 700 mounted with a vortex viper pst optic I'd bring out some time if you want, also can lay hands on an identical setup in an AICS 1.5 stock

also have a Winchester mod 70 chambered 223 in an hs-precision, junk optics at the moment though.

hit me up if you want to compare any of em

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to call it "building" when you can put a scope on it and go win matches :P:rotflmao: You can also complain how the tapperware stock feels cheap and the barrel nut is ugly while doing so.

Like I've said it before - the trick to building a Remington is to use as little Remington parts as possible ... the best are built with absolutely NONE!

I'd love to argue with this, but as an owner of more than a few Remington 700s, I have to agree.

Savage's bolt-guns out of the box are pure bad-ass and the after-market is closing the gap slowly-but-surely on goodies to buy for your gun, but at the same time - There are still a few things you can get for the Remy that you can't on the Savage (and preference is just that... preference - buy what you want man).

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't be a hater. What kind of attitude is "shoot it for what it's worth"??? We wouldn't have sub-moa 10-22's if that were the general consensus of our firearm world. We wouldn't have the new (extremely well built) savage. We wouldn't have Glock perfection if we all settled...

Except Remington 700 doesn't fit your formula.

Both Savage 110 and Remington 700 where designed (basically) at the same time and both were designed to undercut Winchester 70 by offering a cheaper rifle.

Savage did it with innovations that were 40 years ahead of it's time
Remington did it by simplifying existing 100 year old designs.

There is nothing wrong with either approach. But it doesn't change the fact that there is a 100 year design/technological difference between the two.

You don't have to be gunsmith to see that barrel nut and floating head is a better design, especially mass produced. Any action can be hand-fitted into a precision rifle - what makes Savage special is that you don't have to.

Savage also seems to make better barrels. You can clearly see it in the used market. I do not hesitate buying a Savage take-off barrel; on the other hand nobody in their right mind would spend time and effort fitting a Remington factory take-off.

I agree with "not settling" notion - but from what we've seen in the last 10 years - maybe Savage got bolt action "perfection". New "innovative" rifles keep coming out that are simple copies of Savage - Marlin XS7, Mossberg ATR, Ruger American.
Kind of like Glocks - there a many polymer pistols on the market, but as they get updated and refined - they become more and more like Glocks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom