Academy (Handgun) Sales?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Only two problems with Academy. 1. You buy it and they forget you. Any issues you have -ANY - have to be taken up with the manufacturer. That's not just from experience, that's actual policy. 2. If you get a "delay" from NICS, fed law says it can be sold to you after three days if the feds don't answer. Not at Academy. A "delay" with no "proceed" is no sale.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can add a couple of things to that list ... They won't let you "feel" the trigger. No dry firing allowed.

And if you have any questions at all about anything that is not the place to go. They cannot even be trusted to sell you the right ammo for the gun you are buying. I had a guy INSIST that I could shoot .357MAG in my Glock 31 (.357SIG). In fact, he did his gut level best to humiliate me in front of about 4 or 5 other customers because in his words I "must be an inexperienced gun owner to not realize the rounds were interchangable".)

He is not there any longer. ;)

They also have difficulty with the difference in a "box" of ammo and a "case" of ammo. I much prefer to buy my ammo by the case ... they just couldn't wrap their minds around that. LOL

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can add a couple of things to that list ... They won't let you "feel" the trigger. No dry firing allowed.

And if you have any questions at all about anything that is not the place to go. They cannot even be trusted to sell you the right ammo for the gun you are buying. I had a guy INSIST that I could shoot .357MAG in my Glock 31 (.357SIG). In fact, he did his gut level best to humiliate me in front of about 4 or 5 other customers because in his words I "must be an inexperienced gun owner to not realize the rounds were interchangable".)

He is not there any longer. ;)

They also have difficulty with the difference in a "box" of ammo and a "case" of ammo. I much prefer to buy my ammo by the case ... they just couldn't wrap their minds around that. LOL

THIS - I don't know that I'd go there looking for advice or recommendations. But they have some good prices so if you already have a gun picked out and they're selling it cheap, buying from them is pretty painless. I have only bought one firearm from them but it was a pretty normal process, they didn't do anything that impressed me but it wasn't a pain either.

ocphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought two handguns there... I didn't have any problems but it was the middle of a tuesday and no one else was there so they were not busy (I could see a lot of problems with taking forever if they were busy), and yes most of the people working there know very little.... I was there the other day and they were training a new girl and she didn't even know why people would want to buy guns, and really couldn't understand why we would buy stuff like cleaning supplies (I couldn't help but to continue listening to her questions to the other guy that had only been there 2 weeks)

So overall I had no problems, but I won't be going back unless they just run an awesome sale on something I want

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've bought a pistol and a shotgun at the Academy in Norman. Never had any problems. Of course, I knew what I wanted; and I wasn't looking for any help from the staff other than just processing the paperwork.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A manager walks you all the way up to the register which is entertaining. Even waits with you in line. :D

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I haven't bought any handguns from Academy but I did TRY to buy a Weatherby O/U shotgun. I stood there for about 15 minutes waiting on two employees to finish their bs session. When they finally acknowledged me, I asked one of them to see the shotgun and he just asked me what I wanted to know about it. I told him I wanted to know what it felt like in my hands. Then I asked him how many chokes it came with and he told me that he didn't know and he didn't have time to open the box. He missed out on a $1000+ sale. Other than their gun department I've always been treated very proffesional.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A manager walks you all the way up to the register which is entertaining. Even waits with you in line. :D

Dang, everyone gets the red carpet treatment? I thought it was because I was just "special". So I'm not a VIP?

I've only bought one gun there. Thier system was having problems and it took over 40 minutes to get the check done, the manager knocked off 10% of the price for my wait time.

Agree on prices are decent, but you need to already know what you want and have done your research and handling of the gun ahead of time.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've bought a pistol and a shotgun at the Academy in Norman. Never had any problems. Of course, I knew what I wanted; and I wasn't looking for any help from the staff other than just processing the paperwork.
I've bought a shotgun and rifle from Academy. I would buy my pistols there too if there was one close to me here in state. I have to drive across the border into Texas to get there. That being said, I've never had any problem with them Like yourself I wasn't looking for any help because I knew exactly what I wanted.

Thats common practice these day at big box stores like Wal-Mart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom