Academy (Handgun) Sales?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koveras

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My purchases from Academy in the distant past were pretty easy and straightforward. Earlier this year, I bought two rifles (at different times) and the process seemed to be deliberately drawn out.

The first rifle, the young guy took forever filling out the store's own paperwork and seemed shocked that I knew how to fill out the 4473 myself without his expert guidance.

The second rifle, an older fellow tried to be as condescending as possible and also took an inordinate amount of time filling out, once again, the store's paperwork. He even made a comment that I was risking federal prosecution for signing the 4473 form before he had looked it over.

After the second time, I don't shop the gun counter at Academy anymore.

BTW, this was at the NW Expway store in OKC. Hopefully, other stores are different.

Pb Slinger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Academy is staffed with min. wage workers...here today...gone tomorrow. It seems the only training they receive on the weapons and/or paperwork is at the time of sale. This is not a good idea from a customer perspective, for obvious reasons. But often retailers cannot see the forest for the trees. The manager types just know they don't want to waste one extra minute training some employee who'll quit by the end of the week.

I did purchase a Rossi .38 from there once upon a time. Had to endure the inexperience of the clerk, and I had to help them with the paperwork.

Good price on some items if you have patience and time to kill.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! I completely agree with everyone. Academy can have decent prices at times, but do all your research before you get there. Know exactly what you want. If you're going to ask questions/browse/handle guns before you buy, go somewhere else. I walked into Academy last week for a box of ammo. Had no customers and 4 employees behind the counter BSing. Took them a good 5 minutes to acknowledge I was there. Prices aren't that bad.....as long as you expect bad customer service. I only go there as a last resort.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a feel good experience, don't go to Academy. For a bargain, maybe go to Academy. We all like pleasant shopping experiences, but if their ad said "come in and let us insult you. You'll save 15 percent," would you go? I would, and you should just assume that's what's going to happen. Same thing goes for Outdoor America much of the time. CB

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking for info and a knowledgable salesperson go to your hometown gunshop and build a relationship.

If looking for a good price is most important then maybe Academy.

I've purchased a couple guns there.
It helps immensely if you know what you want.
Also helps a lot if you're patient.

I have to say it's one of the few places where the employees are dumber and slower than WM.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They usually have good prices, but not great selection. As for the staff, some barely know which end of the gun to hold onto, some actually seem to know a bit, and some know about half as much as they think they do.

For example, today I was at one in OKC looking at a G19. One fellow told me it was a gen 4, but it was one of the RTF versions with the "fish gill" slide cuts. I told him I wanted the gen 4 and he told me that was it. I tried to explain that a gen 4 has the backstraps, extended mag release, etc, but he was convinced the RTF was the gen 4 (I think their sign said it was). Another fellow came along and actually corrected the first guy, and then checked around only to find out Academy doesn't appear to stock actual gen 4 g19s. He did know the difference, though, and both of them were polite and professional. You just gotta know what you're looking for.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What do you guys expect from a retail store whose focus isn't firearms? I for one am glad they sell them. It's a place to go and get a few decent deals, at least they aren't flat out trying to rip anyone off with exceeding high prices. They're not going to pay for someone to work their counters who actually knows everything about firearms, maybe a couple of part-timers from time to time.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys expect from a retail store whose focus isn't firearms? I for one am glad they sell them. It's a place to go and get a few decent deals, at least they aren't flat out trying to rip anyone off with exceeding high prices. They're not going to pay for someone to work their counters who actually knows everything about firearms, maybe a couple of part-timers from time to time.

I expect to be sold what I ask for without being treated like a second class citizen. I didn't go in there asking for advice -- I went in asking for ammunition. What I got was advice -- and bad advice at that ... Men ... :tounge:

Latest posts

Top Bottom