Academy (Handgun) Sales?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hardly, I have just seen crap like this often. Jerks thinking that because they get loud that it is okay for someone else to break the law pisses me off. I bet he wasn't willing to do the jail time or even pay the fine for that greasy haired kid when the ATF does an audit on all gun sales for the past 20 years is he?

well dont worry it will be OK... AK's a good guy...everybody has a bad day...and as we all should know the worse feeling is not getting the gun you want when you want it...so every one keep your panties on and it will be alright:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pardon me, I'm not trying to step on any toes, but I have an ffl, and have had for about 30 years. also I worked at academy (I240&walker) for about 16 mos. I quit there, approx. 2 years ago, because selling guns at academy is sorta like pulling teeth through the wrong end. If they see a employee looking at a gun book or manual, without a customer present, it can mean a write-up. and then there was the store forms, but, hey I'm old and probably can't get along with anyone. Actually,changing information on a 4473 can LEGALLY be done, by the one who made the mistake if he/she initials it. Heck, since blank forms arn't legally accounted for I seem to remember, some maybe going in the trash, and a fresh start. Yes I'm sure management wouldn't approve. (if any of you are reading this, fire me). Besides CO. policy, there is ind. managers, clerks,and ,jerks with the attitude I"m a gun salesman, ergo, I know all there is to know about firearms, your a customer, you don't know s---. but unfortunately they are quite common arn't they? You might bear this in mind, and yeah I buy stuff from them too, but they put absolutely nothing back into fighting for our rights. Dang, I'm a long winded sucker, ain't I ?

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just because I don't post much hardley make me a noob. YOu are appearntly the Noob at life and haven't realized that YOU are responsible for YOUR actions. And if the kid wants to stay compliant with the law he is required to not sell you the firearm. YOU get to fill out the form, YOU get to look over the form before handing it to the worker. When YOU fill it out wrong guess what its YOUR FAULT. And no I wasn't there but it hardly take me being there to see how this went down. You filled out the form, the clerk looked at the form, the clerk looked at your ID, informed you that he/she could not make the sale, you said you can fix that, clerk ifnformed you that wasn't possible, you got loud and berrated the clerk/demanded manager, manager told you same thing clerk did, you left while yelling back at manager making ass out of yourself to everyone else there. pretty close isn't it.

You are the very first person in 4 years who i get to put on my ignore list on this board you come across like this guy on deadhorse and if i wanted every single post i ever make to be berated and critiscized i'd go there. Hardly a noob? You havent been here that long buddy. Actually that couldnt be further from the truth. I left and called the store and asked to speak to a manager and I told him what had happened, he apologized for this kids error and assured that i could fix my mistake of ONE NUMBER on a zipcode. I was very frustrated by the way i was treated, hell i've been treated better at dongs, so the manager offered to give me a $50 giftcard for my trouble and a discount on the gun.

Pardon me, I'm not trying to step on any toes, but I have an ffl, and have had for about 30 years. also I worked at academy (I240&walker) for about 16 mos. I quit there, approx. 2 years ago, because selling guns at academy is sorta like pulling teeth through the wrong end. If they see a employee looking at a gun book or manual, without a customer present, it can mean a write-up. and then there was the store forms, but, hey I'm old and probably can't get along with anyone. Actually,changing information on a 4473 can LEGALLY be done, by the one who made the mistake if he/she initials it. Heck, since blank forms arn't legally accounted for I seem to remember, some maybe going in the trash, and a fresh start. Yes I'm sure management wouldn't approve. (if any of you are reading this, fire me). Besides CO. policy, there is ind. managers, clerks,and ,jerks with the attitude I"m a gun salesman, ergo, I know all there is to know about firearms, your a customer, you don't know s---. but unfortunately they are quite common arn't they? You might bear this in mind, and yeah I buy stuff from them too, but they put absolutely nothing back into fighting for our rights. Dang, I'm a long winded sucker, ain't I ?

THANK YOU for the info thats what i thought. Now i am bowing out of this thread since this jerk above wants to jump all over me.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone that has worked at a gunstore will tell you people make mistakes frequently.They simply change it,initial it and we go ahead with the transaction.I don't like having to do the 4473's at all and to have a kid tell me I couldn't complete the transaction would piss me off too.As far as someone getting stung by an atf audit and going to jail.....doesn't happen on simple mistakes.Worst case scenario ffl gets a fine unless it is an ongoing problem with many violations.Then they revoke the license and hit them with a BIG fine.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone that has worked at a gunstore will tell you people make mistakes frequently.They simply change it,initial it and we go ahead with the transaction.I don't like having to do the 4473's at all and to have a kid tell me I couldn't complete the transaction would piss me off too.As far as someone getting stung by an atf audit and going to jail.....doesn't happen on simple mistakes.Worst case scenario ffl gets a fine unless it is an ongoing problem with many violations.Then they revoke the license and hit them with a BIG fine.

Thank you steve :thumb:

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this thread still going?

All stores have their little rules for employees to follow. The rules are not always ATF rules, who knows they may have gone through an audit and want to make sure they do more than what is required.

There is an FFL and I will not give any names in WA state that I jumped through more hoops than I ever had to just to send an AR15 to his store for a guy who purchased it. This took almost 1 month to complete. But, I was calm, asked exactly what was required, sent my FFL to him in the correct color ink, with the correct color ink for my signature, with an invoice in the correct color ink, with each part of the weapon stated correctly in the correct color ink, with a diagram pointing to the part. LOL...

This was not the fault of the customer, just that he picked some guy that had some strange rules for firearms his store accepted. Maybe it was because it was a weapon that was not accepted in that part of the country as much as it is here. Any way the customer has the weapon, he is enjoying it. The customer is the son of a Special Forces colonel that I know that is also why I took my time and was very patient with the transfer.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One day I took my wife to Academy, we both wanted some of their on sale 5.56 steel cased ammo. They had a limit per customer. They would not sell her ammo, because we walked in the door together and I bought the limit "per customer"... and I guess she doesn't qualify as a customer.

Greasy haired punk by the gun counter made a snide remark about the amount of ammo we were buying (400 rds each, less than a case total!) I think he is the one who called the manager on us. They also didn't have any ammo packed by the case. Buying a case of anything other than shotgun shells was a foreign concept to them.

I'm not exactly boycotting them, but I haven't been back since. They don't really sell anything I need besides ammo, and I can buy that online w/o the hassle.

CircuitRider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sure stores and sales personnel differ from store to store but back when Ruger 380's were hard to find my name was put on a list, along with others and they called me when my name came up and they had my order. That was a nice service that I appreciated. I also buy ammo there but you do need to know your prices like shopping anywhere else. Going at a busy time of day will get you a wait in most stores as sales personnel have been greatly reduced.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually when you make a mistake on 1 number on your zipcode on the 4473 you usually get a chance to fix your mistake. Thank you for being sarcastic and berating Mr Noob, you wernt there :finger::finger::finger:

+1000

If they can fix it w/o having to scribble or scratch out anything, i.e. putting
6' 2" instead of the correct way 6' 02" I just ask them to put a zero infront of the 2". Without initialling anything...geeze, the kid was a moron, or ill informed, or both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom