Academy line for ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seen the same thing in Tulsa a week or two ago. They were lined up a few minutes before open.

Were we not talking about this a year ago. That it was an election year. Then Rona popped off. You could still buy whatever you wanted last summer you just had to pay more. I think we are at peak madness currently.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say "or learn to make it" but I honestly don't know that the type of people that would be in that line would be well suited to reloading.
I used to reload .45 when I carried a .45, then I switched to carrying 9mm and sold my reloading stuff because 9mm was so cheap.
That's the way it goes I guess.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say "or learn to make it" but I honestly don't know that the type of people that would be in that line would be well suited to reloading.
Man, when components have gone up so much it can be really hard for a new guy to justify buying a press and dies and everything that goes along with it.
It's costly NOW to set up to reload and then the scarcity of componenets and the price jump is just crazy on primers. Bullets have bumped up a bit and powders have bumped up maybe 15% it seems to me in the last 6 months.
And time consuming either way,
wait in line for loaded ammo
or spend time searching components and more time on the press.
I can see both sides of it. Reload or buy loaded at higher prices, sucks either way.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
back in the obummer days I hunted .22lr pretty regularly so I could keep shooting steel challenge matches. I would hit 3 academy's in a morning, nw expway at opening, then edmond, and south okc. I never saw anything like this though.
I do remember the neckbeards sitting in lawn chairs in the aisles of walmart waiting to see what was coming out.

That is just crazy to me . . .

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, when components have gone up so much it can be really hard for a new guy to justify buying a press and dies and everything that goes along with it.
It's costly NOW to set up to reload and then the scarcity of componenets and the price jump is just crazy on primers. Bullets have bumped up a bit and powders have bumped up maybe 15% it seems to me in the last 6 months.
And time consuming either way,
wait in line for loaded ammo
or spend time searching components and more time on the press.
I can see both sides of it. Reload or buy loaded at higher prices, sucks either way.
You know how I look at it .. it's a numbers game what's the cost of all startup cost, materials, etc versus the cost of new ammo. Let's say on average a round of 9mm is 70 cents right now (I've seen higher and lower in stores) versus the cost of reloaded.
Primer is .05
Brass is .025
Powder is .025
Bullets are .07

So about 17 cents a piece for a 53 cent differential. Now let's at someone got a Dillon 550 new setup in 9 and assume 200 of other basic supplies. That's like 800 or so.
Divide that by .53 to re cost recovery point and hats a pretty modest 1600 is rounds.

Shift the math downward to a "normal" ammo cost of around 21 cents and the payback is much longer at 13000 rounds. I personally think ammo will stay high for a minimum of 4 years because of, well, I've watch the right panic before.

Which, to be fair 1600 would be a lot if you are new at reloading, but I cranked that out in the last two days in a few hours. So if you're spending it anyways might as well have more capability, and good equipment won't go down in value.

Edited for clarity/grammar after I typed it on my phone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom