Academy line for ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are guns to be had. Ding Dongs in Tulsa had plenty of them today. All tossed in a cabinet like a child was doing dishes. All different directions and laying on top of each other. All Atwoods I have been in recently have had some hand guns and long guns.

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried Academy this week and overheard someone bragging about having a bookshelf full of ammo, said they wanted 10k rounds for each caliber for no other reason than to be "prepared". This guy is hoarding thinking he's going to singlehandedly fend off an army while people like me are just trying to get some rounds so they can get some time at the range and practice without burning what little they have saved up. They complained cause someone bought the last of some ammo they wanted RIGHT in front of them and I'm there making a mental note to remember it in case I see the last one just to buy it and keep it out of their hands. Haha.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried Academy this week and overheard someone bragging about having a bookshelf full of ammo, said they wanted 10k rounds for each caliber for no other reason than to be "prepared". This guy is hoarding thinking he's going to singlehandedly fend off an army while people like me are just trying to get some rounds so they can get some time at the range and practice without burning what little they have saved up. They complained cause someone bought the last of some ammo they wanted RIGHT in front of them and I'm there making a mental note to remember it in case I see the last one just to buy it and keep it out of their hands. Haha.

that sorta thing irritates the crap out of me. When in Afghanistan in 2010 things were nasty, and that was with well trained Marines fighting farmers and poorly trained morons carrying 30+ year old enfields and AKs. To flip it around an expect a 40 year old overweight neck beard with at BEST a defensive handgun or rifle course under his belt to burn through hundreds or even thousands of rounds during a confrontation with other individuals or properly trained government troops is highly unlikely. I don’t understand how that logic escapes so many individuals. The average gunfight in the US is 3 shots fired within 7 yards, typically between two people. That means 3 rounds fired with a 50% chance of surviving. We can even round that down to to 25% chance of being wounded, 25% chance of being killed. To go through 100 rounds means you do roughly 33 gunfights, and the unweighed probability of getting through all of them alive is roughly 1 in 17 billion. Store up a couple hundred rounds in case you need them for whatever reason, and let everyone else enjoy shooting as well.
Granted, I want 10k-20k+ of each caliber I shoot and 100k each of 9mm and 22LR rounds, but that’s simply because I want to buy now, and never have to buy ammo again. Not only does it keep things simple but it prevents me from having to purchase ammo at a higher price later on.

Edit: just kidding, my math was off. It’s a 1 in 4.294 billion chance. That’s considerably better, but still extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that sorta thing irritates the crap out of me. When in Afghanistan in 2010 things were nasty, and that was with well trained Marines fighting farmers and poorly trained morons carrying 30+ year old enfields and AKs. To flip it around an expect a 40 year old overweight neck beard with at BEST a defensive handgun or rifle course under his belt to burn through hundreds or even thousands of rounds during a confrontation with other individuals or properly trained government troops is highly unlikely. I don’t understand how that logic escapes so many individuals. The average gunfight in the US is 3 shots fired within 7 yards, typically between two people. That means 3 rounds fired with a 50% chance of surviving. We can even round that down to to 25% chance of being wounded, 25% chance of being killed. To go through 100 rounds means you do roughly 33 gunfights, and the unweighed probability of getting through all of them alive is roughly 1 in 17 billion. Store up a couple hundred rounds in case you need them for whatever reason, and let everyone else enjoy shooting as well.
Granted, I want 10k-20k+ of each caliber I shoot and 100k each of 9mm and 22LR rounds, but that’s simply because I want to buy now, and never have to buy ammo again. Not only does it keep things simple but it prevents me from having to purchase ammo at a higher price later on.

Edit: just kidding, my math was off. It’s a 1 in 4.294 billion chance. That’s considerably better, but still extremely unlikely.
You're forgetting there are a couple types of people.
1. GUBERMINT JACK BOOTS ARE STEALIN ME GUNZ! - They stock up because evil government wants to (make up reason here).
2. COME ON MY LAWN AND IMMA GETCHA! - These are the Rambo's that will go through the 1000's in a single confrontation you mention
3. M'LADY NECKBEARDS - Can't screw people over if you don't neckbeard all the ammo/primers in the first place right?
4. ARMAGEDDON IS UPON US! - This is similar to point 1 but the Zombie hoards are coming instead of the anti-2A oppressors.
5. General sheep - They see products selling out and just want to get in as much as they can. Thankfully they normally have to sell cheap later when bills come due.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5. General sheep - They see products selling out and just want to get in as much as they can. Thankfully they normally have to sell cheap later when bills come due.

Back in the day when they took Black Talons off the market.
People came into my store and bought them and said
"If the government is going to ban them we want some and we don't even own a gun"
True neckbeards lookin' to make a profit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Back in the day when they took Black Talons off the market.
People came into my store and bought them and said
"If the government is going to ban them we want some and we don't even own a gun"
True neckbeards lookin' to make a profit.
I have a cousin that acquired close to 20K rounds of .22 during the obama shortage years, and he doesn't even own a .22.
I ridiculed him thinking he was gonna get some serious money from them as an investment.
It may not be a bad investment from what is going on now and he still has them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom