Accelerator rounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember the sabot is plastic, and would play hell with the gas system on the little carbine. Now if you were shooting them out of a Ruger Blackhawk there shouldn't be any issues.

I have one of the Universal carbine copies or clones. It has a provision for rotating the gas piston and making it a "bolt action". If I had problems I could just set it that way until I was done playing and then clean it out.

I bet .22 bullets with sabots in the carbine would be about like that .22 Johnson cartridge that Iver Johnson made or their carbine copies.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hogdon has data for several bottle neck cartridges for Trail Boss that are really low velocity. That could be interesting with a sabot and light bullet.

Hannibal7

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last accelerator rounds I had were for my 30-06 and they were horrible. Tumble, tumble, tumble... But I might have just gotten a bad box..

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use to shoot the 30-30 Accelerators out of a Marlin 336 back in the early 80's out to 150 yds. or so, I found them to be superbly accurate, and some of the best turkey loads I ever used...

Now days, I shoot the EABCO sabots in an N.E.F. single shot 30-30. My most accurate load is shooting a 55 gr. Hornady V-Max at just over 3,500 fps.. 3 shot groups stay under an inch at 100 yds. and around 1 1/2" at 200 yds.. It works well on crows and coyotes....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom