Adequacy of training for ccw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my CCW in February. During the classes, some of the people in the class came to my attention and really worry me.

One was an older couple getting their license together. The husband seemed a lot like the father in the movie "American Pie." Just seemed very awkward and naive. He had a really hard time even racking the slide back on his gun and was a bit clumsy. I was thinking... "OMG, this guy is going to get a CCW and could be out on the street with a firearm, with no additional training."

There was a few others in class that also worried me because they just seemed like they could barely hold a firearm, let alone make sound judgement calls in certain situations because of how "twitchy" they are.

Anyways, I keep thinking about some of these people and knowing that these people could actually be out in the public with concealed firearms really really worry me. I'm glad they are getting their CCW, but I'd sleep a lot easier if I knew that these people were getting additional training on how to handle their firearm.

Maybe there needs to be an additional required firearms training beyond the basic gun safety class in order to get a CCW?

What do you guys think?

I conceal carry every chance I get, but it's always in the back of my mind that I or someone innocent may get shot by a twitchy/clumsy CCW holder. Worse, I worry that if the day comes where I may have to use my CCW, another twitchy CCW holder may confuse me as the criminal and shoot me.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No No No....

no additional requirements for CCL. I have no problem with the class or putting 50 rds down range. How twitchy somebody may seem has no bearing on their thought process or rationality. Most will get the license and probably never carry sadly.

However yes they should take classes and train, any good instructor will tell them this in class.

Wes Kenney

Marksman
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Zombie here. There should be absolutely no further requirements for a license to carry concealed, and everyone who does, in fact, carry a concealed handgun should, by their own choice, avail themselves of quality training in defending themselves with that handgun.

I could use a little training in how to speak, but God forbid that the state should require that training before I am allowed to speak.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone who carries a gun needs more training. No, there should not be more requirements for a concealed carry license, there should be less.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone who carries a gun needs more training. No, there should not be more requirements for a concealed carry license, there should be less.

I agree with this 100%. We have too many requirements now. Everone who carries a weapon should get training and practice with what they are going to carry and with the gear that will be used.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you are requiring people to buy a state license to exercise a Constitutional right, it is extremely dangerous to require "skill testing" as part of getting that license.

Would you like to have to pass all the CLEET qualifications (including physical conditioning) to get a CCL? Neither would I.

There are states that theoretically have CCL license issue procedures, but nobody ever meets the requirements including retired police officers. However, the politicians always seem to qualify. Couldn't happen here? Don't bet your lunch money....

I am a HUGE advocate of professional handgun training and LOTS of practice.
But make that part of a Government controlled test? Absolutely not.How's this for a better idea: build public ranges in every county and invite NRA and other instructors to conduct classes at the ranges.

Having taught both OK and UT concealed carry classes, I think UT has it right. Mandatory classes on safety and the law, but no tests and no firing.It always frustrates me that people taking the OK class get all wrapped around the axle about the firing and don't listen to the laws, which is the really important part. And some people think the OK firing is training, which it isn't. Even a basic defense course takes days, not an hour or two.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Effectively what you saying is that there should be an additional qualification test to exercise you 2nd amendment rights. Where in the 2nd amendment does it say this?

You are morally, ethically and financially responsible for where every bullet stops, Training is a necessary part of this responsibility. You have to decide what you’re going to do.

OSSwill

Marksman
Reaction score
I suspect I've taught as many SDA students as anyone in the state, and I've made a few observations that just might make everyone feel a bit better. First, there's a really significatnt percentage of people who take the class and never apply for a permit. Lots of reasons for that, but there's a lot of fall out between the class and application. The vast majority of those who apply, and get the permit, never carry. This is the guys who leave a pistol in the glove box, hope it never gets stolen, and haven't noticed that there will never be opportunity to "go get" that pistol when they need it. I would guess it's a single digit percentage of class-goers who actually WEAR a pistol in public. And generally, those are the guys who don't worry anyone.

Will

Latest posts

Top Bottom