Adequacy of training for ccw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my CCW in February. During the classes, some of the people in the class came to my attention and really worry me.

One was an older couple getting their license together. The husband seemed a lot like the father in the movie "American Pie." Just seemed very awkward and naive. He had a really hard time even racking the slide back on his gun and was a bit clumsy. I was thinking... "OMG, this guy is going to get a CCW and could be out on the street with a firearm, with no additional training."

There was a few others in class that also worried me because they just seemed like they could barely hold a firearm, let alone make sound judgement calls in certain situations because of how "twitchy" they are.

Anyways, I keep thinking about some of these people and knowing that these people could actually be out in the public with concealed firearms really really worry me. I'm glad they are getting their CCW, but I'd sleep a lot easier if I knew that these people were getting additional training on how to handle their firearm.

Maybe there needs to be an additional required firearms training beyond the basic gun safety class in order to get a CCW?

What do you guys think?

I conceal carry every chance I get, but it's always in the back of my mind that I or someone innocent may get shot by a twitchy/clumsy CCW holder. Worse, I worry that if the day comes where I may have to use my CCW, another twitchy CCW holder may confuse me as the criminal and shoot me.

I know the type of people mentioned in the 1st thread. They are the people that you will not see on this website. They are the people that will be the large statistic of people that have their license and DO NOT carry it on their person faithfully.

mike pt40

New to the site!
Reaction score
I took the ccw class 6 months ago.... There were people there that scared the hell out of me. I think that evryone should get additional training but it shouldn't be required by law. On that note, any suggestions on defensive shooting classes ? (I live in Blanchard)

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I were just talking about this issue over the weekend.

I agree that more requirements is not a good thing.

Some people will take a personal responsibility and get more training, and some won't.

We were out this past weekend doing our CLEET Phase-IV quals and took a short break to let a CCL class come through. It was scary watching some of these folks. One guy got his thumb all sliced up from the slide, because he wouldn't listen to the instructor and get his thumb back over to the correct side of the pistol. Once it was all bloody, he paid attention. Fortunately, most will probably not really carry.

But, in any case, it's our right to protect ourselves. Some will train for it, and some won't. I just don't think the government should be making those decisions for us.

On a side note....it was a wonderfully beautiful weekend to be outside shooting for two full days.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gosh I wish I could get some more training. I have my gun, am about to send off my application (I know, I know, count on 4 months before I can actually 'carry'), but honestly I am still a gun newbie. I've been around them all my life, off and on, have owned several pistols and been a casual plinker many times. I learned to shoot in a half-day session with a cop friend who was a CLEET firearms instructor probably more than 10 years ago, but had no other formal range time until my CCW class two weeks ago. :(

Problem? MONEY

I have already spent $750 or more on my weapon, ammo, class, license fees and such. I broached the subject of spending another $400 on an Advanced Combat Pistol course and my wife nearly shat the bed. :(

What else can I do? Any way I can work off the cost of a class somewhere? Surely with 15 years of healthcare experience as a paramedic and physician, someone could use a few hours of instruction during classtime on first aid or something? I know I did this in my hunter's safety course many years ago as a paramedic... taught the first aid portion of the class in exchange for reduced cost, I think. Heck, I spent a full year teaching full-time Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support..... and was the highest-rated instructor in our company. So I am not a bad teacher.

Anyways, just venting... someone who'd love to get more training in firearms, tactics, marksmanship, whatever. But being a resident physician, money is tight and opportunities to make more are severely limited. :(

Just thought I'd throw it out there, maybe someone can think of a niche I could fill. ;)

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gosh I wish I could get some more training. I have my gun, am about to send off my application (I know, I know, count on 4 months before I can actually 'carry'), but honestly I am still a gun newbie. I've been around them all my life, off and on, have owned several pistols and been a casual plinker many times. I learned to shoot in a half-day session with a cop friend who was a CLEET firearms instructor probably more than 10 years ago, but had no other formal range time until my CCW class two weeks ago. :(

Problem? MONEY

I have already spent $750 or more on my weapon, ammo, class, license fees and such. I broached the subject of spending another $400 on an Advanced Combat Pistol course and my wife nearly shat the bed. :(

What else can I do? Any way I can work off the cost of a class somewhere? Surely with 15 years of healthcare experience as a paramedic and physician, someone could use a few hours of instruction during classtime on first aid or something? I know I did this in my hunter's safety course many years ago as a paramedic... taught the first aid portion of the class in exchange for reduced cost, I think. Heck, I spent a full year teaching full-time Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support..... and was the highest-rated instructor in our company. So I am not a bad teacher.

Anyways, just venting... someone who'd love to get more training in firearms, tactics, marksmanship, whatever. But being a resident physician, money is tight and opportunities to make more are severely limited. :(

Just thought I'd throw it out there, maybe someone can think of a niche I could fill. ;)

Best place for the money is www.oklahomashootingskills.com
Will teaches at H&H gun range 3 Sunday nights a month.
Go to the web site and sign up.. Oh and one of the instructors is in Med school so he'll feel your pain.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all the classes cost that. There are all price ranges. There is even videos that would be better than nothing.

Yep!

I'd love to take some of USSA's advanced courses eventually. In the mean time, until money builds back up, it's DVD's, range practice, and dry fire excercises at home.

The nice thing about the DVDs is that I was able to recognize what my real instructor was showing me, so it made it much easier to learn.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Problem? MONEY

Why not teach first aid / CPR and such as a side job to fund gun a class?

Latest posts

Top Bottom