Air/water tight storage cases help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good size water/air tight storage case to put in our shelter. Something around 2'x2'x4' roughly. Right now I have everything packed into 3 five gallon buckets sealed. I'm needing something bigger that has a rubber gasket. Any ideas besides Pelican? I'd prefer not to have to sell a kidney to buy one.

Last edited:

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mylar bags? They could be put inside a box or whatever, even beat up old looking suitcases (for camouflage purposes).

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm looking for something sturdy to sit on. It's going into the storm shelter and I know it will take up some room. I know that I can vacuum seal all the clothes and stuff into bags then stick them inside an un-sealed box. But, then I gotta worry about bugs and stuff getting inside there. I'd rather not deal with that part and just get a decent size sealed container. I figured the "Preppers Corner" would be the place to find out!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You might consider mixing the two ideas. The mylar bags are absolutely waterproof, dust and bug proof, and you only break the seal on what you need when you need it. Then your options open WAY up on sturdy boxes to put things in. I've got a couple of heavy duty plastic boxes from Wally World. We can sit on them, eat on them, stack crap on them - I've even driven a quad up on two of them. AND, they've got a place to lock them shut.

this is what they are, you can get them locally though

http://www.zoro.com/g/00053398/k-G0...hopping_Feed&gclid=CLubkrzjtL8CFYqPfgodbDAA9w

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, I see what you are thinking. Ok, I will check them out. I have some good vacuum bags already. My main thing is having clothes in the shelter I don't have to worry about. In the middle of the night, if the tornado sirens go off, I don't want to have to worry about finding clothes. I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing we already have boots, socks, and clothing waiting.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Very smart idea. That's exactly how our tornado shelter is packed. At LEAST one regular change of clothes (T-shirt, jeans, shoes, socks X 2) and a pair of WORK clothes (overalls, boots and boot socks, gloves, safety glasses etc.). Each pair of pants has two pairs of socks and two pairs of undies rolled up in it, each of the ladies bags has a couple of sports bras as well. Each bag has it's own set of two chem lights in a piece of PVC pipe (to prevent premature breakage) so that no matter what bag you grab, you will have a source of light that doesn't need batteries.

Other items are stores separately, but in the same large box

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stoughs in okarche has all kinds of military storage boxes with rubber seals. Kinda look like the pelican type boxes. Kinda pricey but they probably have what ya need

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stoughs in okarche has all kinds of military storage boxes with rubber seals. Kinda look like the pelican type boxes. Kinda pricey but they probably have what ya need

Thanks! I will look into them

Edit: Found them, it's "Strohs Surplus". I will check them out this weekend, thanks for the heads up!

Latest posts

Top Bottom