Ak draco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes an 07/02 FFL/SOT can take your gun, register it with ATF on a Form 2 as an AOW, engrave his info on it (since he is the manufacturer of the AOW now), install the foregrip and then transfer the gun back to you on a Form 4 with a $5.00 transfer tax. However, he is not going to do all of this for free. Cost may be less than doing it yourself, but far more than just the $5.00 transfer tax.

No that is wrong.
A $5 transfer is to transfer an AOW (all other weapons) from one registered owner to another.

As a Manufacturer when I register a weapon it simply tells the feds that i made a weapon and what the serial number is. It does not make me the registered owner.

When I sell you an NFA item that I made then You are the first owner and must pay $200 to register it, even if it is an AOW.
but then you can sell it and transfer it, If it is an AOW the registration is only $5, but still $200 on all other classifications.

There is a lot of misinformation about this out there but if you want to hear if from the feds then read the National Firearms Act or at least Title 27 CFR part 279 of the Federal Firearms Regulations.

Donald

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No that is wrong.
A $5 transfer is to transfer an AOW (all other weapons) from one registered owner to another.

As a Manufacturer when I register a weapon it simply tells the feds that i made a weapon and what the serial number is. It does not make me the registered owner.

When I sell you an NFA item that I made then You are the first owner and must pay $200 to register it, even if it is an AOW.
but then you can sell it and transfer it, If it is an AOW the registration is only $5, but still $200 on all other classifications.

There is a lot of misinformation about this out there but if you want to hear if from the feds then read the National Firearms Act or at least Title 27 CFR part 279 of the Federal Firearms Regulations.

Donald

That isn't correct Donald.

When you manufacture an NFA item you fill out and fax in a form 2. That adds the item to the registry. You paid your $500 SOT to do that tax free. When it transfers on a form 4 they will pay $200 for the transfer tax on everything but an AOW. That would be a $5 transfer.

A call to the NFA branch should clear this up for you. (304) 616-4500 Avoid calling the local field offices for NFA questions. They are great most of the time, but for NFA they seem to be lacking sometimes.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

When you manufacture an NFA item you fill out and fax in a form 2. That adds the item to the registry. You paid your $500 SOT to do that tax free. When it transfers on a form 4 they will pay $200 for the transfer tax on everything but an AOW. That would be a $5 transfer.

A call to the NFA branch should clear this up for you. (304) 616-4500 Avoid calling the local field offices for NFA questions. They are great most of the time, but for NFA they seem to be lacking sometimes.

OK what are you charging to do this for your customers, I have no idea what to charge.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$100 minimum. If you do over 50 in a year you have to pay federal excise tax on that stuff. 11%. And not just everything over 50, everything. 49 guns mfg'd, not FET. 51 guns MFG'd, FET on all 51 of them.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No that is wrong.

Donald

No, I am not wrong. If you are an 07/02 and YOU make his pistol into an AOW then YOU register it tax free an a Form 2. You do not pay a tax as your yearly SOT fee covers this. You then transfer the AOW to him on a Form 4 for $5.

That is what I said. I fail to see why he thought I was wrong.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to buy the Draco first. Then when you get it, you get a pair of ATF form 1s (you can fill them out online check my website in my sig for links to them) and you take them to your sheriff in your county. He'll need to sign them and you'll need finger prints taken on ATF cards (I have them for free). Once you have all that you fill out an ATF certification of compliance for 5330.20. Once you have all of that you put it in an envelope with a $200 check to the ATF. Once it comes back approved you can add your stock to the Draco. I wouldn't buy the stock until the forms come back approved.

http://class3designs.com/links/atf-nfa/

Latest posts

Top Bottom