AK issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a Romanian AK off of another board member took it out to shoot it and couldn't get more than about 4 rounds off before a misfire or a jam. Spoke to a Gunsmith and he suggested that the lips on the mags be adjusted. Has anyone else had these issues and if so what was the fix.

Thanks in advance

Rusty

BobAsh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do the mag lips look bent? AK mags are usually pretty reliable.

Does it cycle by hand, or only jam when it's shooting? Sometimes AKs need a bullet guide.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what mags are ideal ?? I'm presently using a couple of tapco mags and a couple of just standard steel mags ammo is plain old round ball lacquer coated unknown mfg, I traded for a large lot of 762 x 39

it will cycle by hand

I've heard of people having problems with the hollow points but it all did me in at the range hollow point & round ball

it says 10/63 so I am assuming it is a 10 it is dated for 1970

and as to the mags all of the lips are the same the two steel & the two plastics are all spaced the same

ChaseOK

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You might want to make sure the gas port is clean and clear of cosmoline and carbon.
I have had one that would bind the bolt carrier because the receiver was too tight where the rails are. Slight tweak to the receiver and it fired flawless.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some rounds did fail to fire, but most of the time a second strike on the primer did the trick, a time or two there were rounds that stuck in the chamber I removed the mag and cycled the bolt and the round ejected after that,

Snyperc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it is a "free floating" firing pin it is probably clogged with cosmoline or dirt. I would try getting some carb cleaner and blasting the "channel" the firing pin is in first.
If it is a firing pin under spring pressure, try the same thing first before you spend any additional cash.
Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom