AK over AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it's an AR because I could operate it blind folded. Don't smack me but I've never sent lead down the tube of any AK variant of any type x51, x39, or otherwise.

You've never shot an AK!?!? That's as sad as this cat. If you are ever in the Ada area, we can remedy that.

i77.photobucket.com_albums_j49_jakeums_l_zps013907f5.jpg

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
419,321 I think it was in the late 70s when I happened onto two of Oklahoma's finest (OHP) at the old MB-1 range at Fort sill. They were testing a full auto Mini-14 and let me put a mag through it. We wants it. Still. But, in terms of reliable, adequately accurate, high volume output, the Ruger is a keeper. I have a folding stock stainless old one with not enough twist to stabalize heavy bullets, but if the ship hits the sand it's the first thing that'll come out--followed by an AK that just works every time. When ARs get cheap enough I may buy one to play with, but I still have reliability concerns with the basic design. Probably will hold out for something with a piston.

No kidding ... LOL**

The Minis were so great we got rid of all of them and went with the much better AR-15. Personally I wouldnt take a Mini if you gave it away.

**This statement was by GC's secretary and concubine ...

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick one, learn the manual of arms and maintenance routine then shoot the piss out of it.

Familiarize yourself with both though.

This.

I have ARs, two nice ones and more planned. I actually prefer them to be perfectly truthful because of their efficiency as a platform and the ease with which they can be used or new shooters instructed on them. I am shooting my AKs primarily right now to bring up my level of skill with what I view as an inferior and more difficult to shoot platform. In addition to that is cost. I can actually afford to shoot my AKs right now. The ammo situation is improving though.

That being said I really like my AKs for two specific reasons. First, both are Arsenals with the AK-100 series side folding stock; I can instantly cut the gun's length from 30-50% (depending on the gun) for storage or transport.

Second and more importantly, 7.62x39 can work an auto body and what ever juicy bits of meat that might happen to be within or behind it. I don't have the same warm and fuzzy about 5.56 or 5.45.

It's a tool. Select the best one for your perceived needs. Don't hesitate to familiarize yourself or, if the opportunity presents itself, to intimately learn the ins and outs of other common systems. Being well rounded is a good thing and can even make you a bit better at a specific thing.

Ek

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the AR for a 2A-purpose rifle because it is so easy to do even armory-level maintenance like barrel swaps on them, with basic household tools. I have seen dudes do barrel swaps with vise grips, an armorer's wrench, pin punches, and a hammer. Spare parts are plentiful. If you get a quality one, it is plenty reliable enough. The ease of mounting optics and adaptability are nice too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom