All You Really Need: A S&W J-Frame Revolver for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those thinking that reloading, shooting a revolver has to be slow... Here is one of OSA's finest showing just how, ummm "slow" revolvers are:)

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LmhmReBCyq4[/video]

LOL, thanks for the shout out! I just got back into town and wondered if everyone in this thread had worn themselves out yet "discussing" the matter! :)

As for carry, when I compete with a revolver I carry one. When I compete with an auto, that's what I carry. I haven't carried a revolver since 2007. ;)

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I carried an LCR and a J frame for a while, great guns. Once when I thought I was going to get into an altercation with 3 trespassing punks, middle of the night, in he back of my mind I kept thinking 5 divide by 3..... And couldn't get an answer. Now, I kept carrying 5 shot revos for a while, but it is something to think about.

Currently I carry a Glock 30. 10 shots of 45 makes division a bit easier.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Just to be honest how many times, in the line-of-duty, not at the range, have you fired more then 5 rounds? Details please. A lot of us grew up cuttin' our teeth on Dan Combs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxbl74v0nWg

I believe I remember you saying something about carrying a gun for bear defense when you're out in the woods.

So, be honest here, how many times have YOU been attacked by a bear?

Fortunately, one thing that separates us humans as a higher species than animals is the ability to learn from other human experiences, not just our own. We have the ability of taking advice from other humans.

So far, I've heard very little from you that moves forward. You seem to prefer to sling poo at others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the final analysis for us SDA folks, it is nothing more than what you prefer to carry, for whatever reason.

At the end of the day this is the ultimate truth. If you won't practice with it and carry it (whatever it is) responsibly you might as well be lugging around a brick. In fact you might be better off with a brick.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe I remember you saying something about carrying a gun for bear defense when you're out in the woods.

So, be honest here, how many times have YOU been attacked by a bear?

Fortunately, one thing that separates us humans as a higher species than animals is the ability to learn from other human experiences, not just our own. We have the ability of taking advice from other humans.

So far, I've heard very little from you that moves forward. You seem to prefer to sling poo at others.

I've shared some of my experiences before. Maybe you weren't reading that day. As for my comment I'm not slinging poo. Just asking a hard question. I've been charged 3 times by black bears. None yet by browns, grizzlies or polars.. I fired no shots. I've been in one defense of life shooting as a police officer in Alaska. I fired one round. I'm not an expert and don't claim to be.

If you feel comfortable with and are proficent with what you choose to carry then that is what you should do. But the idea that a man with a 5 shot revolver can't take care of himself just as well as a man with a 15 round automatic is just foolish. That's where reality comes in. How many rounds does the average defender fire in a real defense-of-life shooting?

That's civilian shootings. Not military or police shootings. I'd really like to know the answer. I don't know where you'd find those stats. Just based off of the articles that I've read on civilian shootings I'd say the number of shots fired per incident is less then 5.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many rounds does the average defender fire in a real defense-of-life shooting?

The stats are all over the map on this. A strong proponent of J Frames (Claude Werner) did an analysis and it was an average of 2 shots at less than 4 feet average. One analysis for OIS was an average of two shots at 7 feet or so. By that standard, you could argue that even uniformed LEO's should be adequately armed with a J Frame. Problem is, not everyone encounters the "average". For every 10 scenarios where zero to one shot is fired, there's an incident or two where 6-10, or more shots are fired. "Average" simply isn't a good benchmark.

A good benchmark is to consider all available factors and arm accordingly. Even more important, tailor your response plan based on your capabilities. It should be a conscious decision as you walk out the door.

For instance, say I'm only going to the Quik Trip down the road from my house. I don't live in an urban area and since it opened several years ago, there's only been one incident there (a post chase "armed and barricaded" subject that turned out to not be armed). I might feel just fine dropping in there with just a J Frame or P-32 in my pocket, especially if I'm just pumping gas. I'll know in advance that my armament is probably sufficient to fend off your basic mugger, but would really only be good for E&E against a well armed set of multiple assailants.

Now let's say I'm going to town in an area that borders a high crime zone, with the potential to be out after dark. I don't have the option to avoid going due to some obligation or I think I'm going to meet someone for a really good deal, but not so good as to be untrue. Do I pocket that J frame, or belt on my G-19 with night sights and X-300 with DG switch?

Now I'm suiting up to work a patrol shift. I belt on my Accurate Iron modded G-21SF with night sights and X-300 with DG switch and two spares with Arrendondo +4 extensions, plus my G-26 in a Galco Ankle Glove and soft armor of course. Now I'm physically prepared to deal with any average and most non-average LEO encounters. Mental preparedness is a prerequisite of course.

Off duty, I don't feel the need to carry a hi-cap .45, two guns and a total load out of 59 rounds. I'm not going to be actively running to danger and most likely will use my skills as a good observer rather than a gun (unless an imminent threat to life that's more dangerous than any response I might make presents itself) should a crime occur.

Overall, I'm more likely to counter an animal attack than an armed assailant outside the home. The most likely threat vector is walking with my wife and our dog. That doesn't mean I want to minimally arm myself. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst and all that. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom