All You Really Need: A S&W J-Frame Revolver for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dang, my 640 .357, 5 shot is out dated? Yes its a little heavy, yes it only holds 5 rounds, and yes its slow to reload but it has never failed to fire five consecutive times.

I have semi's....but they all failed to fire at least once. Old reliable is always close at hand because she always goes bang at least 5 times.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well again each to his own. My experience is different. I had a revolver lock up once and if it had been a gunfight Id been better off to just throw it at him. My semi autos always seem to work and as far as a reload I just hope you never need more than 5 because if you do it might be bad.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen revolvers out of time, that wouldn't fire period. If you've ever been into one you know there's plenty of gadgets that work together to make it go bang. Those parts are a little beefier typically than a semi auto, but if it malfunctions it will likely need far more effort to correct than tap, rack, pull.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well again each to his own. Nobody in OHP carries a revolver anymore. In fact the last holdout was told by the chief to "get with the program ASAP"...lol. And I dont know of any that carry anything but a semiauto as a BUG. In fact it makes sense to carry a BUG in the same caliber as your primary. My G26 takes the same mags and ammo as my G34.

Hey GC; how ya doing? Long time no hear from you. Anyway, it might interest you (and the others) to know that my primary EDC is either a S&W model 65 or a model 681, because I am just better with them than I am with other handguns. As a matter of fact, my old sheriff carried a 681 during his time with the county, and I think it was the same one that he carried when he was captain with OHP.

J-frames are good guns, but with my big hands, I prefer to carry something just a bit bigger.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen revolvers out of time, that wouldn't fire period. If you've ever been into one you know there's plenty of gadgets that work together to make it go bang. Those parts are a little beefier typically than a semi auto, but if it malfunctions it will likely need far more effort to correct than tap, rack, pull.
Granted, wheelguns ain't perfect, as I have had them to go out of commission when an un-burned grain of propellant powder got under the extractor star, among other things. But I still prefer them over a semi-auto.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well again each to his own. My experience is different. I had a revolver lock up once and if it had been a gunfight Id been better off to just throw it at him. My semi autos always seem to work and as far as a reload I just hope you never need more than 5 because if you do it might be bad.

Just to be honest how many times, in the line-of-duty, not at the range, have you fired more then 5 rounds? Details please. A lot of us grew up cuttin' our teeth on Dan Combs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxbl74v0nWg

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those thinking that reloading, shooting a revolver has to be slow... Here is one of OSA's finest showing just how, ummm "slow" revolvers are:)

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LmhmReBCyq4[/video]

Latest posts

Top Bottom