All You Really Need: A S&W J-Frame Revolver for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Of course you could step up to one more round in a Colt Detective Special. They fall right in between the J-frame and K-frame for size.

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN5327_zps071a85c6.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN5328_zpsc1cc00ed.jpg

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree a good semi is the best choice for a primary handgun. Capacity and quick reloads make it king. The J-frame still has a place. It's the best backup gun in my opinion. I know a lot of officers who carry one, myself included. If I end up in a ground fight I want a second option and I don't want to worry about it going out of battery. It's literally my "get off me" gun.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well again each to his own. Nobody in OHP carries a revolver anymore. In fact the last holdout was told by the chief to "get with the program ASAP"...lol. And I dont know of any that carry anything but a semiauto as a BUG. In fact it makes sense to carry a BUG in the same caliber as your primary. My G26 takes the same mags and ammo as my G34.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True. The same mag and caliber makes a lot of sense. However with the reliability of most semi's I think the most likely scenario for a BUG would be a ground fight where you can't access your primary. We found in our force on force training that our semi's often went out of battery in close contact shots while fighting on the ground....so some guys switched back to the revolver.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya'll about got me to the point of posting my dang J-Frame in the classifieds! Stop it now! I am gonna fess up and admit I have been totin' a Sig P239 for the most part lately, actually. The J-Bird still holds a place in my safe; but I do agree, it's role is more and more limited. I was just havin' some fun.

Still...maybe all one really needs is a J-Frame...:bowdown:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree a good semi is the best choice for a primary handgun. Capacity and quick reloads make it king. The J-frame still has a place. It's the best backup gun in my opinion. I know a lot of officers who carry one, myself included. If I end up in a ground fight I want a second option and I don't want to worry about it going out of battery. It's literally my "get off me" gun.

I couldn't have said better. While an LEO there was always a J-frame on me. Our duty gun at the time was S&W's 4506, and I usually carried a 3913 or 4516 as my primary BUG or off duty gun, but still had the J-frame as a third or BUG.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My J-frame and LCR 357 are more than capable of serving as SD weapons. They'd be even more so if I could hit the broad side of a barn with them. ;)

Sent from my underground command post using war drums and morse code. Now free!

Latest posts

Top Bottom