All You Really Need: A S&W J-Frame Revolver for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My J-frame and LCR 357 are more than capable of serving as SD weapons. They'd be even more so if I could hit the broad side of a barn with them. ;)

Sent from my underground command post using war drums and morse code. Now free!

Out of those two, what do you like and dislike about each one? I need to get a revolver just can't decide on which one.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good friend of mine who was a big bore revolver fan (.44 Magnum) always used to make fun of my choice of a pusillanimous (a real word - look it up) baby rabbit gun, that being a 5 shot revolver chambered in .38 Special. He would always say things like "get you a real gun" or "whatcha gonna do with that bean-flip?"

Then one day, I challenged him.

I said Dave...let's you and me have a duel. I'm gonna drill you right in the chest with my pusillanimous baby rabbit gun and if you are still standing, you can shoot me with your big ol' hog leg...

BUT LET ME SHOOT FIRST!

Funny...he never nagged me about my .38 after that.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a medic, I have seen more than a few folks. Shot with .22's, 380's, 38's that damm near died. Some did. Put a guy on a helicopter bound for OU Med. Wife shot him with a .380 fmj. Guy had to have blood in flight. People get shot with small rounds. Because that is what most people have. I think if we get to the point when a J will not suffice. Is the time to strap on a rifle. Way to much handwringing over calibers. I would venture a guess that a 38 158 grain lead hollow point has killed as many folks as some of the modern rounds. Most CCWers are not Police and don't need to act like the Police. Like Glock em says. Nobody wants to be shot with any of them. Regards

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
99.3% of the people on this forum will never fire a single round from any firearm in a civilian defense of life shooting. So just about any J frame will hold 5 times more rounds then anyone will ever need.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most will understand why LEO's carry semi's.
But for the average Joe there's probably a different set of expectancies.

I think too many average Joe's base their expectations on what they see on the TV or in the movies. Then a whole tactical industry springs up trying to convince us weekend ninjas that we need to carry the latest in drop-leg holsters and urban cammo. We'll spend thousands trying to warrior up. I mean, seriously, who wants to open carry a S&W 642 when doing the WalMart stroll????

Boomer45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a medic, I have seen more than a few folks. Shot with .22's, 380's, 38's that damm near died. Some did. Put a guy on a helicopter bound for OU Med. Wife shot him with a .380 fmj. Guy had to have blood in flight. People get shot with small rounds. Because that is what most people have. I think if we get to the point when a J will not suffice. Is the time to strap on a rifle. Way to much handwringing over calibers. I would venture a guess that a 38 158 grain lead hollow point has killed as many folks as some of the modern rounds. Most CCWers are not Police and don't need to act like the Police. Like Glock em says. Nobody wants to be shot with any of them. Regards

I have to agree with Cowman on this. I think our tendency as gun enthusiasts is to get locked into the numbers over everything. What grain weight is the projectile, how fast is it moving, what is the muzzle energy of a particular load etc. While I do recognize that all of these numbers are important and to represent a given loads capacity to inflict damage on a target. There is one other important thing to remember. All bullets are designed to do damage of some sort. I am not sure that most have seen the damage that a bullet can do to the human body. This is a picture of my family members hand after he mis-handled his S&W 38 special. This is not to bust on him because he knows that he made a stupid and paid the stupid tax. Its also not to gross any one out. I just think that sometimes we underestimate the amount of power that a modern hollow point can deliver in almost any caliber. I think that if you were to put this wound on any bad guy he might want to re-think his desire to play any more which is the ultimate goal. Shot placement truly is more important than caliber or personal choice of weapon. Just carry something that you can shoot accurately. Just my .02
IMG_1463.jpg

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of those two, what do you like and dislike about each one? I need to get a revolver just can't decide on which one.

I like the trigger and balance of the LCR more than my J-frame. I also like the fact I can shoot +P and 357 Mag loads from the Ruger.

My lone J-frame is a no-dash Model 38. It's easier to conceal than the Ruger, but would be tougher to replace if it were absconded by the Po-Po.

If my J-bird were a 442/642/638, it would be a closer contest for CC. But, I'd probably still choose the LCR because of its smoother trigger.

But, don't take my word for it. My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Go rent a J-frame or two and an LCR and see which one you prefer.

Sent from my underground command post using war drums and morse code. Now free!

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For CCW: When it gets right down to it; all you really need is a S&W J-Frame Revolver. IF you can shoot worth a crap that is. That is all.

I agree. "Well, once I take out the leader, which is you, I'll have to contend with one or two enthusiastic wingmen. The last two guys, they always run."

Latest posts

Top Bottom