1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Always Wanted a Stoeger Coach Gun

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by Blue Heeler, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Blue Heeler

Blue Heeler Sharpshooter

Supporter
    No. The chambers are honed so they are really slick. Possibly with some practice I can learn to "shuck" them like the SASS folks do.

I have some six round (!) shotgun speed strips that worked pretty well with this. To note, that shell holder is for holding shells ... getting them out and into the gun takes longer than pan frying an egg.

Roy14 likes this.
  2. Blue Heeler

Blue Heeler Sharpshooter

Supporter
    I couldn't help but think of his "two blasts" nonsense when I was getting this. I have a Beretta 686 O/U so in theory, I could hold one in each hand and fire four blasts for twice the effect.

You are correct. If I would ever have to use this shotgun or any shotgun for self-defense, it will likely be under 10 yards which means tighter patterns which means that I best be aiming. While the spread of the Rio 0 Buck and the Remington #4 Buck covered a target at 10 yards, it still has to be aimed.

As to how a gun "patterns", I do that with my all my shotguns. Bird guns and HD guns. I have a Model 12 that was my late father's and it has a REALLY open choke. He wanted that so he could slam-fire the gun and in theory, be a "street sweeper".

On the flip side, my Mossberg 590A1 (still have it despite selling it to my brother in law ... I don't think he wants it anymore since he can't find shells and I won't sell him any of mine) that shoots very tight patterns especially with the Federal LE 00 Buckshot loads. It has "three dot" sights which I don't really like on handguns but on this shotgun, they work great for aiming, especially when I throw slugs.

Have to say, Federal's "Flight Control" wads are amazing. I once patterned those with my Mossberg at around 5" at 25 yards. A few years back, I bought a case ... glad I did today. Had three different people ask me at the range, "Where did you buy your buckshot?!?"

CG Both Barrels.jpg

dennishoddy and Roy14 like this.
  3. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015337814

Well that's super cool and useful. I have the same thing for my SP101, I never had it occur to me that you could do it with shotgun shells. that's genius; both from a tactical and convenience standpoint. I hate having shells rattling around in my pocket, but sometimes its nice to be able to carry a couple extra.

Blue Heeler likes this.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have a friend that has one of those and I really like it. He takes it out when we go shooting clays. It is definitely a fun gun

Blue Heeler likes this.
  5. Blue Heeler

Blue Heeler Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Will say that those shotshell "speed strips" are an abject veterinary term for a female dog to get the shells in. Come out easy enough but getting them in is almost painful.

6. JLB

JLB Marksman

Supporter
    Very nice looking shotgun. Have always wanted a coach gun, really just for the "cool factor". Maybe that's my age starting to show a bit

Blue Heeler likes this.
  7. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My late Bro-in-law bought a coach gun with external side-mounted hammers (probably back in the '70s?). Always thought it looked really cool.

Sadly, I never shot it, and don't even know the make or model. :/

Blue Heeler likes this.