Always Wanted a Stoeger Coach Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do these have ejectors?

No. The chambers are honed so they are really slick. Possibly with some practice I can learn to "shuck" them like the SASS folks do.

I have some six round (!) shotgun speed strips that worked pretty well with this. To note, that shell holder is for holding shells ... getting them out and into the gun takes longer than pan frying an egg.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brain dead biden gun! Two shots over the deck will scare off all intruders!
Your range observations have proven like several on this forum that the shotgun is not going to put out a huge pattern at hall way ranges.
It must be fired like a pistol or rifle to be effective.
Kudo's to get the modifications to make it ultimately reliable!

I couldn't help but think of his "two blasts" nonsense when I was getting this. I have a Beretta 686 O/U so in theory, I could hold one in each hand and fire four blasts for twice the effect.

You are correct. If I would ever have to use this shotgun or any shotgun for self-defense, it will likely be under 10 yards which means tighter patterns which means that I best be aiming. While the spread of the Rio 0 Buck and the Remington #4 Buck covered a target at 10 yards, it still has to be aimed.

As to how a gun "patterns", I do that with my all my shotguns. Bird guns and HD guns. I have a Model 12 that was my late father's and it has a REALLY open choke. He wanted that so he could slam-fire the gun and in theory, be a "street sweeper".

On the flip side, my Mossberg 590A1 (still have it despite selling it to my brother in law ... I don't think he wants it anymore since he can't find shells and I won't sell him any of mine) that shoots very tight patterns especially with the Federal LE 00 Buckshot loads. It has "three dot" sights which I don't really like on handguns but on this shotgun, they work great for aiming, especially when I throw slugs.

Have to say, Federal's "Flight Control" wads are amazing. I once patterned those with my Mossberg at around 5" at 25 yards. A few years back, I bought a case ... glad I did today. Had three different people ask me at the range, "Where did you buy your buckshot?!?"

CG Both Barrels.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. The chambers are honed so they are really slick. Possibly with some practice I can learn to "shuck" them like the SASS folks do.

I have some six round (!) shotgun speed strips that worked pretty well with this. To note, that shell holder is for holding shells ... getting them out and into the gun takes longer than pan frying an egg.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015337814

Well that's super cool and useful. I have the same thing for my SP101, I never had it occur to me that you could do it with shotgun shells. that's genius; both from a tactical and convenience standpoint. I hate having shells rattling around in my pocket, but sometimes its nice to be able to carry a couple extra.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something just really cool about a short, side by side “coach gun”. Always wanted one but the only model I ever saw was the Stoeger Coach Gun and I didn’t like the way they came from the factory.

By chance, I stumbled upon the webpage of Long Hunter Shooting Supply (Longhunt.com) and saw that they custom tune Stoegers for Cowboy Action Shooting.

I connected with Long Hunter Shooting Supply’s owner, Jim Finch and ordered one of his custom tuned Stoegers. Jim is a super nice guy and he does an amazing job tuning the Stoeger Coach Gun. An action job that includes new springs, chamfers and hones the chambers and new firing pins. The double triggers on mine break crisp at 5#. This gun is slick.

Took it to the range today to pattern different buckshot loads.

First up was Federal’s LE “Flight Control” 00 Buck. At ten yards, the modified tube had a 3.5” pattern. The Improved Cylinder was at 5”. Next was 0 buck from Rio. Never shot this brand before and it patterned at 7” from the Mod tube and just a little under 8” from the IC tube. Last was some #4 buck from Remington. This load patterned the same as the Rio load.

Fun little gun! If you want a “coach gun”, I highly recommend going through Long Hunter Shooting Supply.

View attachment 194811
I have a friend that has one of those and I really like it. He takes it out when we go shooting clays. It is definitely a fun gun

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015337814

Well that's super cool and useful. I have the same thing for my SP101, I never had it occur to me that you could do it with shotgun shells. that's genius; both from a tactical and convenience standpoint. I hate having shells rattling around in my pocket, but sometimes its nice to be able to carry a couple extra.

Will say that those shotshell "speed strips" are an abject veterinary term for a female dog to get the shells in. Come out easy enough but getting them in is almost painful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom