Am I a heartless, animal hating monster for this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and my lil brother and some friends went down to the city dump area in Pawhuska one time to go shoot our .22s. (Back in those days kids carrying their .22s to go shoot bottles apparently wasnt a big deal I guess because we did it all the time and it was ok with our fathers). Next to the dump was the city animal 'pound' they called em back then. This was the late 70s. We came up on a long trough that looked to be freshly dug, and laying in it were about 10 dogs with bloody blown up heads and all were burning. Some old guy came out of the building there and chased us off. I was about 10 but Ive never forgot that. It wasnt an especially harrowing memory as we hunted with our father and also watched our rancher mother prepare animals to eat so we werent exactly squeemish, I just never really forgot that sight of those dogs shot in the head and burning. My father raised GSDs so we really loved our animals.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and my lil brother and some friends went down to the city dump area in Pawhuska one time to go shoot our .22s. (Back in those days kids carrying their .22s to go shoot bottles apparently wasnt a big deal I guess because we did it all the time and it was ok with our fathers). Next to the dump was the city animal 'pound' they called em back then. This was the late 70s. We came up on a long trough that looked to be freshly dug, and laying in it were about 10 dogs with bloody blown up heads and all were burning. Some old guy came out of the building there and chased us off. I was about 10 but Ive never forgot that. It wasnt an especially harrowing memory as we hunted with our father and also watched our rancher mother prepare animals to eat so we werent exactly squeemish, I just never really forgot that sight of those dogs shot in the head and burning. My father raised GSDs so we really loved our animals.

And if you wish to have the vet put down your personal pet, in your family home or a clinic that's fine. I'll probably do the same with my GSD when she needs it but tie your post into the Bristow, OK issue. Are you saying it's cruel? Or that it might make people squeamish? I don't think I hear anyone saying they're thrilled at having to put animals down.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No need to blow their head smooth open, a .22 in the ear will do it without alot of mess. And no, I'm not against this method. I have put down several dogs myself this way.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you saying it's cruel? Or that it might make people squeamish?.

I think it just depends on the person. I was just saying Im not squeemish about a memory. About how to humanely euthenize animals I have no clue. We take ours to the vet, then have em cremated as if they were family because thats what ours are. One dog we had I buried him under a tree in my back yard, he had passed in his sleep and he had spent his entire life loving that yard and that tree. I do remember though over the years having friends or family members taking a dog or cat in the woods and shooting them because of an illness or whatever, it was never pleasant but had to be done. Never done it myself.

I worked at IBPs beef processing plant in Emporia Kansas way back in the day for about a month and I remember the tour we went on, especially the killing floor. There was a place there where the cattle were quickly herded in and popped in the head with what appeared to be a device like in 'No Country For Old Men'. No idea if it held a .22 or a bolt but it was quick as hell and I was surprised at how humane it all seemed.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has been the humane method for livestock for a long,long time. The key is knowledge and skill. I don't see how one form of quick death is any different than another. And if it is cost saving then that means there is more ability to support a larger, living population.

Latest posts

Top Bottom