Am I overreacting to a "hypothetical" situation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People talk a tough talk on child molestation, druggies, abusers, and everything else. Amazing how when it's blood it's "give them another chance" or "you're overreacting".

People are all "I'd kick their ass" or "get a rope" until it's one of their own, then it's hands across America.

It is also amazing that people spend so much time worrying about all the strangers who pose a threat to their kids instead of realizing that the more likely dangers are the people they already know.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not an attorney and I am not LEO and it's not my place to administer the law.

When it comes to my children I am however a judge and jury and in THAT court..Guilty until proven innocent. Is it right? Maybe not. Do I care...NOPE!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your kids safety is #1 priority. F family.

One of my kids has this problem in her mother's family. Almost all of the men in the family have been in trouble for some sort of sex crimes with children. A family of religious nuts (chill, I mean that like in the backwoods hillbilly rattlesnake kissing types of weirdos) too who all mostly live near each other in a large compound of homes. Most of the men are preachers who never spent much of any time in jail. Even though I lived in CA and they went back to her home state of Indiana, I forbade my daughter from any interaction with any of that families men. My ex and I were on great terms too so she understood, plus she herself was molested by a brother when she was 12. She also knows I have the finances and would have lawyered up and got her out of there if she had not done what I wanted. Gladly she came to live with me until later that year when her mom moved to TX.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is also amazing that people spend so much time worrying about all the strangers who pose a threat to their kids instead of realizing that the more likely dangers are the people they already know.

Yup. The risk of a child being harmed by a stranger is at its lowest rate in the entire history of mankind, but you can't tell the "good 'ol dayers" that.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Innocent until proven guilty" is a right, and it applies to other rights: we should not deny one's rights based on an accusation.

Visiting with your kids isn't a right; it's a privilege. You're doing nothing wrong in your caution. Look out for your kids, investigate to the degree you see necessary, and make further decisions accordingly. Do what you need to do for your kids; the rest of the world can lump it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hypothetically, I'd say it depends on the acts--getting caught with a 15 year old who was passing herself off as 18 is completely different than getting caught with a 4 year old. Based on your reaction, I'm guessing it's a lot more like the latter than the former.

The bottom line is you have to do what you think is best to protect your kids. If the in-laws don't like it, they can go jump in the lake; as the saying goes, you can only delegate authority, not responsibility, and you are responsible for those two little ones and their safety. Do what ya gotta do, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a lady friend whose daughter was coached very subtly by her mother to point the finger at the teenage son of her ex-fiancee. Turned out to be total BS, as near as we could tell after a thorough investigation - poor teenage boy was humiliated (the little girl was 5) and crushed. I felt bad for him, but the accusation had to be taken seriously, you just never know. Of course, the coaching grandmother soon after developed lung cancer and died rather quickly... I won't make any allusions about karma there. :/

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets say "hypothetically", my brother in law was arrested and charged with a crime that has the adjectives "lewd acts", "child", and "felony" in the description.

My wife and I have "hypothetically" talked about it and decided that it's best for him to not be around our 4 and 2 year old unless he's found innocent.

"Hypothetically" her entire family is pissed at us now.

Are we overreacting?

EDIT: Spelling :)

Hypothetically, I would tell her entire family that they can either settle the f#$* down about it or they wouldn't see my kids either. And if they had a problem with that, hypothetically, I'd have much less Christmas shopping to do this year.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, the only family you should be concerned about is your immediate family (wife, kids). Everyone else is a VERY distant second IMO. If they don't like it, that's their problem, not yours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom