Amazon vs Local Retailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the same about using Wix filters, amazon used to beat everyone by a mile not anymore. Now I duck duck go whatever I'm looking for and if you don't mind waiting can usually be found cheaper from someone else, V belts for example, amazon sells from D&D for $17 and change but can get them direct for $5-$7 each. And back to filters the wix for my vehicle are $15 at O'Reilleys and close to that now on amazon but Rock Auto is waaaay cheaper $4.80 for the standard and $7.80 for the XP, order 4-5 at a time and even with the shipping it still comes out cheaper than either amagoon or O'Reillys.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was in Academy in Abilene today. She said the shelves in the gun section and other departments were completely bare and checkout lines stretched around the store. She spoke with an employee who said they have the product but they don't have enough people to put it on the shelves. She said there were 3 cashiers working. According to this employee some people were waiting over an hour to check out.

I'm afraid this is going to be the new normal going forward. It just seems no one wants to work any more. It's gonna change...even more so...the way we shop and not necessarily for the better.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid this is going to be the new normal going forward. It just seems no one wants to work any more.
It's not just that people don't want to work, it's also that the generation that's entering the workforce (the people who normally fill those entry-level positions) is one of the smallest in our history. IIRC, Peter Zeihan said we should expect there to be almost 900,000 more jobs than there are workers to fill them within the next few years simply due to demographics. He said it will get better as the next generation comes of age, but that's not for another decade or so.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With birth rates declining, immigration (even criminal) is a substitute and even a replacement. Think all these illegals coming here is an accident?

It's not just that people don't want to work, it's also that the generation that's entering the workforce (the people who normally fill those entry-level positions) is one of the smallest in our history. IIRC, Peter Zeihan said we should expect there to be almost 900,000 more jobs than there are workers to fill them within the next few years simply due to demographics. He said it will get better as the next generation comes of age, but that's not for another decade or so.

KipK

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the same about using Wix filters, amazon used to beat everyone by a mile not anymore. Now I duck duck go whatever I'm looking for and if you don't mind waiting can usually be found cheaper from someone else, V belts for example, amazon sells from D&D for $17 and change but can get them direct for $5-$7 each. And back to filters the wix for my vehicle are $15 at O'Reilleys and close to that now on amazon but Rock Auto is waaaay cheaper $4.80 for the standard and $7.80 for the XP, order 4-5 at a time and even with the shipping it still comes out cheaper than either amagoon or O'Reillys.
I agree RockAuto for auto parts is usually more cost prudent but mayvtake a couple of days longer for shipping.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon has also raised its minimum order from $25 to $35 to get free shipping. You have to watch out for those 3rd party sellers though, there may be shipping charges with them

Latest posts

Top Bottom