Amazon vs Local Retailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a hard core amazon shopper. I do get disappointed occasionally, but getting stuff dropped off at my door when I live out in the sticks is a big plus. Costs over $5 in fuel to drive to town plus my time.
I got a notification that a sport drink concentrate with electrolytes I like to add to my water is backordered for a week, so thought I'd look around for more online opportunities. I pay $30 for a dozen bottles. The cheapest walmart had was double that for the exact same product.
So, guess I'll just man up and have my water straight and on the rocks every day without the foo-foo stuff until Amazon comes through.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I compare Amazon, eBay, along with local retailers when trying to obtain the best bargain. Amazon is I think the better value at times because they deliver and one doesn't have to drive to Lowes dodging traffic and wearing out the car. Yesterday I bought two heavy duty pneumatic door closers for the front storm door (Amazon) and if I'd gone to Lowes I would have saved $3.00 and it wasn't worth me driving 14 miles to save $3.00.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean we have to think when we shop?
A little more than just doing some thinking.

There’s some logic and timing that goes into a lot of my purchases.

If there is a purchase I want to make but not something I need quick, I’ll add it to my cart then save it for later. When that happens, I’ll be notified when there is a price change.

I hear there’s an Amazon algorithm that will lower the price at some point to make the sale. I’ve seen price adjustments from 15% to about 30%.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely a strategy to online shopping. I save a metric crap-ton of money on dog food by signing up for repeat orders with the various pet supply stores like Chewy, Petco, etc... I save about 30 to 35 percent over the regular pricing by doing that and varying the flavors of a particular brand to get the savings again.

Petco had a 20% off special this week with an additional 10% off for ordering online and picking up in the store on top of the repeat order discount. There isn't a store close enough to make that convenient, but... The wife is in Abilene and there is a store there. I set up an account with her daughter's name/address (she gets food there, too) and got a $207 order for about $140-ish. So she'll not only be home for Christmas she'll be bringing dog food with her.

I frequently buy and stock up with online sales as a way to minimize the effects of inflation.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of Amazon shopping.....mainly for convenience, I hate to have to drive a few miles for an item that I can have delivered to my doorstep if I'm in no hurry for it. HOWEVER, yesterday I received a really weird item. Keep in mind, I'm a retired pharmacist so I'm somewhat familiar with medication labeling requirements. I ordered a package of Mucinex DM as we have nearly exhausted our supply and dealing with something like RSV for a bout 3 weeks. I did not want to go to the pharmacy, etc ....so Amazon. It was delayed and took F O R E V E R to arrive. To my astonishment it came USPS from New York....opened the package and there was a blister card with the medication. NOT in the original box ( correct quantity ordered) which has the directions for use as well as the expiration date. There was no expiration date on the blister card. I demanded a refund for this illegal packaging of medication and threw it in the trash.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was in Academy in Abilene today. She said the shelves in the gun section and other departments were completely bare and checkout lines stretched around the store. She spoke with an employee who said they have the product but they don't have enough people to put it on the shelves. She said there were 3 cashiers working. According to this employee some people were waiting over an hour to check out.

I'm afraid this is going to be the new normal going forward. It just seems no one wants to work any more. It's gonna change...even more so...the way we shop and not necessarily for the better.
Self check out. LOL

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I compare Amazon, eBay, along with local retailers when trying to obtain the best bargain. Amazon is I think the better value at times because they deliver and one doesn't have to drive to Lowes dodging traffic and wearing out the car. Yesterday I bought two heavy duty pneumatic door closers for the front storm door (Amazon) and if I'd gone to Lowes I would have saved $3.00 and it wasn't worth me driving 14 miles to save $3.00.
Home Depot most of the time has free shipping when you order online.

Latest posts

Top Bottom