Ammo-Cheap or Good???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP,

I was were you are about 4 years ago. Here is what I did...

I started getting rounds of ball FMJ usually WWB or Blazer. I made sure all of it was brass cased for reloading. Once that was secure in a quantity that I deemed sufficient, I started acquiring more self defense rounds in HP until I had about 10% HP and 90% ball. Then I started using the ball as practice/range rounds and replacing them with HPs. I still have a little ball left, but I am working on it slow and sure. I just purchased a reloader and once I get all the needed components, I will start reloading HPs in the old ball brass.

As with BB, I made sure I had 10% 9mm to 90% 22lr ammo purchases.

Good luck, just don't put all you ammo in a boat like I did and have it capsize in the lake.

JGreen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

I watched this video early. It was really informative and quite a bit of the info was surprising. The main thing I got out of it is to ditch the hand gun as quickly as possible and grab the rifle or shotty. But for the pistol ammo. I am leaning towards a large stock of ball ammo and I will try to keep about 15%-20% of my stock HP....may make adjustments to that as time goes, but as for now that is what I have decided.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Form my perspective a pistol is simply a way to fight to your rifle or almost knife bare knuckles last ditch effort. I shoot 1911's in .45acp and a couple in 10mm. An without some polishing or grinding on the feed ramp hp's won't feed reliably. All my guns do so now but I don't see the need in having lots of hp around. If our boys in uniform on foreign soil can save their arse with ball ammo then I need to practice until I am proficient enough with ball to do the same. In my edc 1911 I carry hp and a spare mag of ball in 10mm but as far as quality vs quantity goes I'd much rather have good high quality stuff (my own hand loads are my preference) than lots of inexpensive inconsistent ammo. But that's just me. Whatever you feel comfortable protecting yourself and your loved ones should the need arise on a large scale is up to you and your level of training and mindset. And you can never have to much ammo especially 22lr and 22wmr on hand IMHO. But I understand finances are a big concern and I have changed lots of my habits to allow for my gun and ammo "collection". Practice practice practice and then should it really matter if it's fmj or hp if you hit your mark with one well placed shot vs spray and pray ?

dengland

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with a good 22lr to feed yourself. Not sure how much use a handgun would really be, other than getting back to the rifle. IMHO ball ammo should do the job just fine.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to thinking about what you would use a handgun for in a SHTF scenario and I pretty much came to the conclusion that you would use it for the exact same thing you use it for today. So I've decided I like the tactic mentioned above of building up a good supply of bulk ammo and then replacing it as you go with good self defense ammo. And the reasons I would want a good self defense ammo is for the exact same reasons I want it now, to end an attack as quickly as possible when a larger firearm isn't available.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP,

I was were you are about 4 years ago. Here is what I did...

I started getting rounds of ball FMJ usually WWB or Blazer. I made sure all of it was brass cased for reloading. Once that was secure in a quantity that I deemed sufficient, I started acquiring more self defense rounds in HP until I had about 10% HP and 90% ball. Then I started using the ball as practice/range rounds and replacing them with HPs. I still have a little ball left, but I am working on it slow and sure. I just purchased a reloader and once I get all the needed components, I will start reloading HPs in the old ball brass.

As with BB, I made sure I had 10% 9mm to 90% 22lr ammo purchases.

Good luck, just don't put all you ammo in a boat like I did and have it capsize in the lake.

This is the aproach tat I feel is best. I have started this way and will continue to do so. Stock up with wat you can afford to a level you feel comfortable with then as time goes on get better stuff. But you should also have rifle ammo too.