Ancient Coins from Petra (Roman?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was digging around in the back of my safe and found these two old coins I got in Petra, Jordan way back in the early 1980 time frame. The coins have some ancient dude's face on them on one side, and a bull on the other side , with two stars above the bull. The writing on the coins looks to be:

DNFLC (the rest; I can't quite make out) - on the side with the guy's face

SECVRITASBID NIKB (E?) - Above and under the pic of the bull on the other side

Anybody know anything about stuff like this? An old Bedouin woman gave them to me after I gave her some nasty old MRE's and a bag of peanut M&M's.
40f4725d3cff4d25a55cec215f0b5610.jpg
49c42dce0d06d49c6c54011fc2fe23be.jpg

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And thanks guys! This is just interesting stuff to me. Petra is a fascinating old site to see. I spent a few days there just exploring; the place is more beautiful in person of course than any pictures or movies can ever make it look like. Looks like what I have is just your basic old run of the mill Roman Coins.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Petra is pretty cool was there in 1990. Druryj there is a Brit painter who panting the Treasury of petra just as you come out of the canyon onto the sight. Spencer Tart is his name I have one of them it's is a unique piece of art to have.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Petra is pretty cool was there in 1990. Druryj there is a Brit painter who panting the Treasury of petra just as you come out of the canyon onto the sight. Spencer Tart is his name I have one of them it's is a unique piece of art to have.

Is this it? "The Treasury". Has to be one of the most awe inspiring sights there is...you walk down through that narrow canyon and then....there it is.

Attachments

• The Treasury at Petra.jpg
    The Treasury at Petra.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 115

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And thanks guys! This is just interesting stuff to me. Petra is a fascinating old site to see. I spent a few days there just exploring; the place is more beautiful in person of course than any pictures or movies can ever make it look like. Looks like what I have is just your basic old run of the mill Roman Coins.

Very cool just to think how old and how many hands those coins touched to what they may have bought.

Lot cooler than the Chuck E Cheese tokens I found in my desk.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool just to think how old and how many hands those coins touched to what they may have bought.

Lot cooler than the Chuck E Cheese tokens I found in my desk.

Oh I dunno...maybe you can get some free pizza with those things anyway. With these old Roman Coins? It looks like one of those and a $1 will get me a medium drink at McDonalds. I really don't think they are worth that much. Just the story behind them and yeah, the history they must have seen is pretty cool.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
da06ca303aff545848f7c4a2e679981b.jpg
That's it it is very ah inspiring the same people had a city in Saudi as well but unless u are on country and get permission to go you can't . Not as elaborate as petra tho

Latest posts

Top Bottom