Another 1911 post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy everything from Wilson Combat you'll end up spending about $1100-1200(nighthawk will probably cost you just a tad more). Buying quality SS parts, you should easily stay at or under $1500 for a custom build. Getting into titanium, damascus, or other aesthetically pleasing/rare metals(or expensive custom coatings) will definitely put you over the limit.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've acquired about half the parts I need for a 10mm 1911. Here's my current list (although it occasionally changes depending on parts availability--or a mind change).

Slide Parts
Caspian slide
Kart barrel
EGW barrel bushing
EGW firing pin stop
EGW 1-piece SS guide rod
10-8 rear sight
HiViz front sight
EB extractor
EB firing pin

Frame Parts
Caspian frame
C&S ignition (hammer, disconnector, sear, hammer strut)
C&S/Grieder trigger
EB grip safety
EB Hardcore slide stop
EB mainspring housing
EB mag release
EB thumb safety
EB plunger tube
??? springs
VZ slim grips
VZ grip screws/bushings
EGW ejector
EGW pin set

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were building one tomorrow:

• Matched Caspian slide & frame set (you can custom order just about anything you want spec'd on the slide as far as cuts go, and they have quite a frame selection as well)
• Kart or Nowlin barrel
• EGW angle bore thick flange bushing and matching recoil spring plug
• EGW flat bottom firing pin stop
• EGW hard sear
• EGW HD ball head disconnector
• EGW/Koenig ultra low mass hammer
• Wilson BP extractor
• Wilson BP firing pin
• Wilson BP thumb safety
• Wilson BP grip safety
• Wilson BP plunger tube
• Wilson BP ejector
• Wilson BP mag release
• Wilson BP one piece magwell/MSH
• Wilson solid one piece guide rod
• Wilson pin set & springs
• STI polymer trigger
• STI titanium hammer strut
• STI titanium mainspring cap
• 10-8 Performance gen 2 slide stop
• Challis hex head grip bushings
• VZ torx head grip screws
• Grips and sights to suit. I’d do a Trijicon HD front and 10-8 or Harrison Design rear for a carry gun, or a Dawson Precision FO front and Ed Brown or STI adjustable rear for a range gun.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Please expand if you will.

thats about what parts cost if you pick out premium components for a build when you disregard budget.
Im not going to make recomendations because there are several good choices for every part of a 1911. Hint: more $ usually correlates to better

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with what most have said, particularly GmThunder...oh and I do like GTG's list also! You can get a full set of parts from Brownells or Midway. Both rep the various gun makers that will sell you a complete set of parts...and you can get the slide/frame fitted by the manufacturer. It is somewhat foolish to think this kit-of-parts will simply go together without some "fitting" of the individual parts. The suggestion to purchase an inexpensive pistol and modify it with different parts is a neat idea but this idea will also include some fitting of the parts. If you have some time to go to a class there are folks like Cylinder & Slide that put on gunsmith classes to build 1911's. In the class you actually build your 1911...and you are mentored by the Cylinder & Slide folks to your work is done spot on.
Good luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom